Rear main seal 🤦🏽‍♂️ help please

Trapboss.Gbody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 13, 2023
Oklahoma City, OK
After replacing both my valve cover gaskets, I found out my leak is coming from the rear main seal. This is so frustrating to me because I have put so much money into this car, and I feel like all these mechanics are scamming me for money. Gbody family I’m so pissed rn 🤦🏽‍♂️ if anybody see this and lives in Oklahoma City I would greatly appreciate your help please.
I NEED HELP WITH MY CUTLASS PLEASE

Thanks

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
What motor? How much is it leaking?

Reactions: 1 users

Trapboss.Gbody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 13, 2023
Oklahoma City, OK
What motor? How much is it leaking?
It’s the original 307 olds motor, and it’s not even leaking much but it leaves a couple drops everywhere it get parked at and I was tired of oil being everywhere especially in my garage 🤦🏽‍♂️ I was told it was my valve cover gaskets got them fixed now they are saying it’s the rear main seal.

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Are YOU sure it’s leaking from the rear main seal or is that what the mechanic told you? If you are unsure to believe him, clean the area underneath between the engine and trans check the back of the engine after driving it to see if oil is coming out. You may need to temporarily remove the torque converter cover to do this. 4 bolts.
I know it’s a bit of a pain but you’ll be learning and that’s a good thing.

Reactions: 2 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
You posted just before I did. If it’s not leaking much and money is an issue, keep an eye on your oil level and put a drip pan in your garage. The leak just creates a mess on the bottom of your car.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Even removing the dust cover on the torque converter will allow you see if it dripping from the rear main. The back of the intake or the oil filter adapter are also possible leak spots. It is also possible the valve covers are still leaking.

Reactions: 3 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Don't automatically assume you're being scammed. It's standard procedure to attack oil leak repairs from the top down. That's how gravity works. You drive an old car and it more than likely leaks from more than one place. While it's entirely possible that your rear main seal is leaking, so could many other things back there. Clean everything and do your own diag before doing any repairs.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Also check the oil sending unit. It is located at the top of the block behind the distributor. It could be dripping down the back of the engine.

Reactions: 3 users

Trapboss.Gbody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 13, 2023
Oklahoma City, OK
I got down there an look at it myself guys, the leak it’s coming down and dropping from off my oil pan and some was on my pipe also. sh*t I even seen a little antifreeze leaking from the bottom of the motor also smh It’s not a lot of oil but I’m pretty sure it’s coming from that rear main. I even checked the valves and they were dry after the install and letting it run. I might as well prepaid myself to get ready to get a new motor faster then what I wanted 🤦🏽‍♂️

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor