help w\egr valve problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayschevy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 7, 2009
longview,texas
i put a new egr valve on,have also checked the solenoid (good).cleaned out the ports on the intake,checked them w\egr valve off and engine running,good to go.my problem is,i am still getting a ses lite for code 53,egr.
i dont know what it could be,i checked the vacuum,the lower nipple on base plate of carb,by the choke pull off.while revving it has vacuum.solenoid is getting 12v.i cleaned it off w\carb cleaner.dont know what else to do.tired of getting the lite.it wont go off till i turn the key off,and then back on while driving
if anyone has any ideas what the problem is please let me know.

p.s. the motor has alot of miles on it,maybe that has something to do with it?

captain-FN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 8, 2010
charlottetown pei canada
did you try and rest the computer? do you notice gas millage goin down? does the engine run fine?

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
What engine is this? I have a Cutlass service manual and it has a flow chart for diagnosing this code. It is saying it is for 3.8 engines, so I don't know if it is the same as your car.

jayschevy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 7, 2009
longview,texas
its a 305,i have reset the computer several times.mileage varies from 14.5 mpg to 17.i put a reman'd carb on and more codes came up.tps was bad on old carb so it wasnt going into closed loop. replaced the o2 sensor and egr valve.have been tuning on the carb.its a 1987 model ccc.old one is an 86 model.
when i adj.the iacv it runs better about 2 turns from the bottom,then it doesnt run better when you punch it.i also cant get rid of the lope.adj. the idle screws makes it run worse,in turn makes the lite come on quicker.code 53.mebbee i got a flat spot on the cam.also makes it run hot
new elect.factory dizzy made it run lots better,the vac. adv.on the old dizzy didnt advance enough to make it run good.i guess the motor is wore out and it will never run like it should.i have alot of money in this mc and its just a tad bit irritating.thanks for the info guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor