help with name of part and a leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robnoxiousauto

Apprentice
Jun 28, 2008
Victoria B.C. Canada
a small thing to point out . The water pumps for serp systems rotate in a different direction in some cases and are not interchange able . Simple solution though if the serp belt system you install drives the water pump with the flat side of the belt then you will need to get a water pump that rotates the correct way

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Their was never a serpintine set up offered for an Olds engine. I have not seen them offered from any aftermarket companies either except for the 455.

I wonder if they could be made to work on a small block with a different size belt.

robnoxiousauto

Apprentice
Jun 28, 2008
Victoria B.C. Canada
there are serp belt set ups for olds engines I have a 1986 olds delta with a 307 that runs a serp belt

robnoxiousauto

Apprentice
Jun 28, 2008
Victoria B.C. Canada
I just went out and checked and the two toronodo's I have here also run serp belts prob alot eisier to come by then a rear wheel drive delta

jimc787

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 2, 2008
all of my belts are brand new; the water pump and the alternator are new as well. could this be a balancing problem since i cut out the ac unit? saw something about re- routing the p/s pump belt to just the crank; keeping the airpump belt where it is and having the alternator belt go around the crank and the water pump pulley; anybody try that at all? it really doesnt seem like it would line up right.

jae

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2006
jimc787 said:
ok so it's the kick down cable then but it is new with the seal in it and the threads are not worn out at all in it i thought this might happen because there is only one bolt that holds it in for the 350 compared to the 2 for the 200.

as for the water pump; the pump it'self is new so the bearings are not shot on it; the thing that most likely warped it was the cut out of the ac condenser so that's how it warped;

you guys know if there is a bypass pulley for the v8's? i've only seen it for the 6's.

Also is there anything with a serpentine system that might swap right in ?

Jim,

First, do you have a serpentine system (one belt) or the regular, more common V-Belt setup (multiple belts)? In either system you won't be able to bypass the water pump as the pump needs to turn in order to pump coolant through the system, unless you go with an electric water pump. You say the pump is new, did you replace it yourself? If so, did you place the pulley back on square and make sure it was tight? If not, this may be making it seem like it's warped (wobbling when engine is running). Though the pump is new, it may be bad, the impeller may be bad inside. Also, how are the belts - new, worn, ripped? Not familiar with a serp-belt system on the Olds V8 engines, mostly SBCs. Could it be your fan / clutch is going bad?

And what do you mean by "the cut-out of the A/C condenser"may have warped it?

smooth_358

Apprentice
Feb 6, 2008
rosemount, mn
by removing the a/c and taking the belt out you have 2 belts running to the drivers side of the motor, correct? if so the most common squeel that comes from it is the pulley you are talking about. Also having all the belts on one side prematurely wears out the waterpump. If i were you i would find the passenger side alternator bracket so you can even out how the belts are routed and have it pull on both sides of the waterpump. I personally have both routed to the drivers side and have no squeels, but i got lucky

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
I remember from a couple of years ago I took off the a/c belt and it squealed ever since then. I made sure the rest of the belts were tight and it did not help. I put the belt back on for the a/c and it stopped squealing.

jimc787

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 2, 2008
Ok, let me explain this a little better. When I say that i removed the a/c i'm refering to the bely and the pump for it along with the condenser and all that; The water pump itself has been on the car since late july and the car has only been driven about six times and dragged on once. the alternator was replaced a week after the water pump. As for the pump pulley it has been replaced after changing the pump correctly with new studs antightened down ( not the first one i replaced). All of the belt were replaced when i changed the alternator.

Now here's the thing. all of the belts are aligned. when i start the car with all of them on there it squeals like a pig. if i remove the alternator belt all of the squealing will stop. No, the alternator shaft is not warped it has been tested on machine and it does not squeal. I do believe that this is a balancing/ pulley problem and i wanted to know if / what anybody hasdone or heard about this.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Your alternator belt isn't tight enough. I had the same problem and returned the alternator cause I thought it was defective. Serpentine belts have to be really tight unlike the v belt....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor