Help with this msd thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremyandthemonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 20, 2014
image.jpeg
hey guys so I got this thing for free I did a bit of research on it and I think it has a rev limiter. Can someone explain what it does and how can I hook it up

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
You are correct. The white piece on the side is the rev limiter (chip, pill, module) They come in even and odd groups per 100rpm range

As for how to hook it up that varies on what ignition system(distributor and coil) you have.

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
That looks like a standard 4pin HEI so:
6ALtoHEI.JPG

If you order the 8860 harness you need to do the modification in upper right corner of diagram and then you do not need the Black and Orange wires. If you do not have the harness that is not something that gets hooked up. The Heavy power leads need to go to battery!! not some other power and ground point. The red wire is the 12v switched wire for key on/run position. Looking at you picture I would pull all that tape off and verify all wires are in good shape.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Don't go spending money on parts to make your box work with your distributor until you know that box works. I have the MSD box in mine along with the MSD distributor that runs on the box or without the box. I'll install your box in my GP to make sure it works if you want.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Steve,
My thoughts exactly. I'd first make sure the unit is good. They do tend to fizzle out on occasion.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Steve,
My thoughts exactly. I'd first make sure the unit is good. They do tend to fizzle out on occasion.

I have an E curve distributor that runs without the box so if my box stops like I expect it to at any time I can unplug the box and I have the plug set up for my distributor so I can get it back tuning in about 5 minutes...

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
You can bench-test the MSD easily. Hook it up as if it was on a motor. Use a car battery and put +12 volts to the HEI where it normally goes and to the MSD red power wire. Ground the MSD black power wire, distributor ground terminal, and distributor housing to the battery - post. Wire the MSD according to the instructions for HEI. Remove the distributor cap and run a battery ground wire close to, but not touching the coil button inside the cap. Take the red MSD "on" wire and carefully touch it to the battery +. As soon as you do it may fire. Then when you spin the distributor by hand it will multi fire as advertised. You can also touch the MSD "white" wire to ground and it will fire. I can move the ground wire away from the coil button almost 12" and it will jump that gap like a lightning bolt.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor