Helpful hints

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
This is more of a caution but if you weld a lot and use a auto-darkening helmet obviously make sure it functions properly before using but also check the front of the shield to make sure that the sensors are clear of spatter or anything that can block them.
If there is something obstructing the sensor it will delay the helmet from darkening fast enough and you can get flash burn through the lens.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you have to do unexpected work on your vehicle and you have no hand cleaner if you have some windex in your car that will clean your hands pretty good and you just need to wipe it off with a rag if you are unable to rinse your hands

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Make sure the drain holes in the doors and behind the rear wheels in the trunk....I just cleaned mine out in the trunk and it was surprised how much crap was there even though I don't use my trunk much

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
When dropping in an HEI distributor in a small block Chevy, I use the factory lug wrench to set the oil pump shaft. I set the slit at 10:00 and 4:00. I hold onto the rotor and vac advance while dropping it in. If you aim the rotor at 3:00 and drop it in, it will fall into the slot every time.

Reactions: 1 user

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
If your making your own gaskets and need bolt holes, use empty bullet casings. Set it on where you need a hole and hit the casing with a mallet. Makes a perfect hole. You could probably get some of all sizes at your local gun range

soma

Apprentice
Oct 27, 2014
If your making your own gaskets and need bolt holes, use empty bullet casings. Set it on where you need a hole and hit the casing with a mallet. Makes a perfect hole. You could probably get some of all sizes at your local gun range
hadnt thought of that,pretty good idea lol.beats trying to get a hole punch in some places

bob_t442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 2, 2011
southwest florida
When trying to loosen the crankshaft bolt to pull the harmonic balancer, I pulled the inspection cover off the transmission and put a piece of 3/8" thick wood between one of the converter to flywheel bolts and the starter on my Olds motor then took up the slack in the setup and loosened the giant bolt (with a 1/2" breaker bar and a 3-foor brass pipe.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
This one I learned today from Bonnewagon (Mark) ...clean the cooling system with the Cascade dish washing detergent ...... :)

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor