Helpful hints

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
There was a rash of tire valve stem failures traced to a Chinese supplier several years ago. I got stung by this and I got really mad at having to get the leaky stems changed at a shop at $$ per tire. I decided to just buy a box of stems and replace them myself but how to get at the inside of the tire? Easy. I placed the original equipment bumper jack on the tire right at the stem and jacked the bumper up, thus pressing the tire bead off the rim just enough to swap out the stem. An inexpensive stem tool pulls the stem into the hole until it seats. Then I bounce the tire around until the bead re-seats while pumping it up with compressed air. A difficult tire that won't re-seat can be persuaded to by wrapping a stout rope or chain around the tire and twisting it tight with a tire iron while pumping it up. Best part is- you don't disturb the balance.
Too much MSG In my valve stems...

mhsmonte

Greasemonkey
Dec 4, 2008
Kentucky
If you ever remove any doors or panels make sure you have the car sitting on flat ground with no jack stands when reassemble the car. The frame flex while on jack stands will make the body line be totally out of line when you sit the car back on the ground.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
So I was swapping some tires around and for the life of me I couldn't get the bead to re-seat on this damn 15" Continental. I wasted hours trying everything, lube, tourniquet, straps, hammers, come along, everything. Finally I was desperate enough to try the "redneck tire bead trick" I've seen on YouTube so often and laughed at. So, what the heck, let's try. I make sure the stem valve is out, spray some Brake Kleen into the tire, give it a few moments to vaporize, and I touch a long Bar-B-Que lighter to the bead opening and it goes WHOOOOMP!!!! And just like that, the tire bead jumps into place. Put out the residual flames, let the hot air get out the stem, and continue filling with compressed air until the bead snaps in solid. Replace valve, fill to normal pressure, done. Amazing, but true.

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
If you want to do a valve lash while the engine is running you can't cut a slot in some old spare valve covers to avoid the splash all over the engine. I think it's easier than the clips.

I have used this method before, but I also used the clips in addition.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Easy method to see if you have a burnt valve is to start the car and put a 2 or 3" wide piece of paper over the tail pipe. If the paper gets intermittently sucked into the tail pipe you have a burnt valve...

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
For your newer cars if your headlight lens have turned yellow get some Arm and Hammer with baking soda toothpaste and a rag or paper towels and use the toothpaste to clean the lenses and then rinse, no need for mouthwash though. I just cleaned the lenses on my Jeep and the toothpaste worked really well and only took a few minutes per lens.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor