HID Headlights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simply put, most HID's (if not all) use a gas (xenon) as the light source instead of a filament.

Kind of like the difference between an incandescent bulb in your house and a fluorescent.

Thanks Andrew! I unnerstand now... :!:

Okay, now for more questions. I hear guys talk about needing relays and ballast modules. I know what relays in general do, so I assume HID's (and projectors?) need them for increased amperage draw to the bulb? I guess the ballast module does the same as a ballast in the referanced fluorescent light?

I'm going to be swapping these in some form to my car when it's back on the road again and I just want to make sure I get what I need to do it right.

I've seen the HID kits on ProStreetLighting.com. Is this a complete swap or is anything else needed?

ok you need the light housing which can be found at pro street 4 each if you are doing the high and low beams and 2 hid kits if you are doing high and low. the ballast comes with the hid kit and they provide the initail spark and ll for the hid lights. now you need the relays because the light switch can not handle the voltage and will smoke pretty good if you try it. well i know it did when i just did the H-4 conversion first, mainly the high beams, SO it's best to use the relays to supply power, all you need to wire from your old harness is the trigger to the relays and everything else you would wire into the battery and grounds. Next when you get the light housings you may need to modify your headlight buckets, the hole in the back was big enough to let the orignal plug for the seal beams, but with h-4's or HID's you will need to enlarge that hole so you can access the bulb and protective cover through the back. all you need to do is enlarge the hole in the bucket some tin snips will work fine, but you can use other cutting tools for a better look. if you need more info PM me and i'll probally do a write up with part numbers and such.

i'd hate to sound like a complete idiot but does any1 have a picture or a diagram as to how i'd need to hook this kit up? :shock:

Ok firstclass305 Here is an extreme bootleg diagram that should help you out. I hope

HID.jpg

monte olrac excellant schemetic! But since I'm not much at electrical wiring, I have a question.

In the low beam wiring going into the relays, it shows a lt green wire as not used. My question is do the low beam lights go out when the high beams are turned on or are all 4 lights on when the high beams are on?

I guess, after a bit more thinking (my mind is wore out from work today ... :? ) that since the low beams stay on in stock confiruration that they would also stay on this way too. Correct?

So, with high beams on, it *should* still have all 4 headlights lit up?

alright the diagram is pretty great!! my last question is on my ballast my positive output has the end for standard light bulbs would i have to cut that off and retro fit that to the adapter on the new adapter that comes with the h4 conversion kit?

Attachments

• 76607_10150321183815716_3446310_n.jpg
    76607_10150321183815716_3446310_n.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 229
i'm sorry guys i forgot to mention its a 35w ballast do i still need the relay?? i was reading in another forum this is only need for 55watt ballast

86Cutlass383SR said:
monte olrac excellant schemetic! But since I'm not much at electrical wiring, I have a question.

In the low beam wiring going into the relays, it shows a lt green wire as not used. My question is do the low beam lights go out when the high beams are turned on or are all 4 lights on when the high beams are on?

I guess, after a bit more thinking (my mind is wore out from work today ... :? ) that since the low beams stay on in stock confiruration that they would also stay on this way too. Correct?

So, with high beams on, it *should* still have all 4 headlights lit up?

Hope this answers all questions:

My question is do the low beam lights go out when the high beams are turned on or are all 4 lights on when the high beams are on? Yes all 4 light are illuminated, the old sealed beam were dual patteren high/low

my last question is on my ballast my positive output has the end for standard light bulbs would i have to cut that off and retro fit that to the adapter on the new adapter that comes with the h4 conversion kit? OK, first if you have an H4 conversion kit it will be used for regular Halogen H4 bulbs, if you are using HID lights that need a ballast it should have connections that match up to the connections on the bulb, unless you have a kit that is wired differently, send me a pic of your bulbs and ballast. i'll post a pic of normal bulbs and ballast used for HID's

forgot to mention its a 35w ballast do i still need the relay? Yes, they lessen the load on your exsisting set up, you maybe able to get away with it but why chance a fire or a burned up headlight switch

i was refering to the positive side of the ballast which has the connection from the ballast to the cars housing i had the ballast from my denali which i sold so there was no point in buying a new ballast but those connectors are for new or standard headlights you know what i mean? eitherway i'm going to make my life easier and run the realy harness and save myself the trouble its only 10bucks... and also will i be forced to upgrade the high beams also?? or can i keep those with the b.s xenon bulbs they come with? MAN I REALLLLLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor