High Comp Motor on Pump Gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

NY87SS

Greasemonkey
Dec 14, 2008
Palmyra, NY
Once you have done what has been suggested you can always try water injection.
Alot of old school built motor benefit from running one of these setups.
Some high compression motors of the 60's came with these units!

85montemj

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2009
The only gaskets that werent changed were the head and timing chain cover. We lubed up the valve train and used diesel oil for break in. Almost everything got switched over from my 350 onto there. But Ill have to look into the timing chain. Ill see if that'll jog my dad's memory in regards to that whole setup. But someone mentioned carbon build up in the cylinders causing the pinging. They suggested spraying water through the carb to clean it. Has anyone ever tried that?

NY87SS

Greasemonkey
Dec 14, 2008
Palmyra, NY
Water works OK, but it actually takes alot.
You could get a few cans of sea foam, start the engine getting it to idle and suck a can up through a vacuum hose, quickly sh*t it off if it doesn't stall out on its own. Wait 1/2 hour or more then start it up and let it runs. It'll smoke like, well, like a brush fire is going in your yard and thats the carbon crap comming out. The second can can be used in the tank to help clear out the crap in the tank, lines and carb!

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
It really just sounds like the engine was not set up for street which your finding out. I doubt trying to steam clean your engine is gonna do anything. I wouldn't go any further until I checked what has been listed for you. When you have an engine that you know nothing about and have problems it makes you want to pull your hair out. This is probably more than you want to do but I would pull it out and tear it down to know EXACTLY what you have and make adjustments to it for the street. 10:1 is fine for pump gas even with iron heads. Whatever your problem is probably lays in the timing as listed or the camshaft.

85montemj

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2009
I think i'll pull the timing cover over thanksgiving break and see what it looks like. I'll replace it while i'm in there. What should i do if i find the crank is advanced?

Blue86Monte

Master Mechanic
Mar 25, 2009
St. Louis, Mo
Take it apart and see what's inside. That's the only way your going to figure it out, you can chase your tail for a long time and get mad. Do it once and do it right. :D

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
85montemj said:
I think i'll pull the timing cover over thanksgiving break and see what it looks like. I'll replace it while i'm in there. What should i do if i find the crank is advanced?

it's not the crank that's advanced, it's just the gear if is which would 3 settings on it, 4 advanced, 0 and 4 retarded...you could just relocate the gear but since timing chains aren't expensive I'd put a new double roller in.

85montemj

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2009
I'll put a new chain in for sure. I cant tear it down though. I'm in the navy going to school pretty all day during the week. I dont have anywhere to do work like that.

gto nate

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 10, 2011
Everett, WA
Tearing down the engine seems like a big PITA to me. 10.1 is ok comp for pump gas also. What kind of dizzy do you have? (i.e. is it a MSD or a HEI, ect... vac advance?) you said the engine did not want to run at 18deg at idle, but would run at 14deg. Usually if you advance your timing (18deg vs. 14deg) the engine should idle higher, not stall out. I ask about your dizzy, because if you have an MSD, you can tune your advance curve. Too me it sounds like you are bringing in the timing to fast, to much advance at too low of an RPM. What is your total timing, and at what RPM is timing at total advance? It is possible that your dizzy has been locked out? On a circle track car or alot of drag cars the timing is locked out, or fully advanced. The only time a engine needs less timing is at off idle and low RPM's, or how a street motor gets driven :D Let me know what you find out. I have a pretty good grasp on timing and advance curves.

85montemj

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2009
Its an accel HEI distributor about 5 months old, no fancy modules or anything. The flyweights work fine and everything else is in good condition. What do you mean by dizzy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor