High Comp Motor on Pump Gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
85montemj said:
Its an accel HEI distributor about 5 months old, no fancy modules or anything. The flyweights work fine and everything else is in good condition. What do you mean by dizzy?

dizzy? = distributor

personally I wouldn't make any changes until you have a chance to look at the crank timing gear

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
x2 on timing curve...
but if you simply bought the dizzy and put it on, I'm guessing it has medium to heavy springs... which means your total advance comes on slowly, and not quickly...
... thus minimizing the chance for detonation/pre-ignition
... so that might not be the issue... can't hurt to check tho

so double x2 on timing gear advance...
check that first, then also try heavier springs in the dizzy to increase timing curve (bring total advance in slower)

10:1 should be good for pump gas, 91-93 octane, iron/aluminum heads

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Is the quench area set right?

85montemj

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2009
Ill be checking out the timing gear soon as i can, dont know when that'll be though. Any more ideas?

85montemj

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2009
So all i do is replace the gear to the 0 position? Will i have to replace it to TDC?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
yeas because you are changing the cranks position in relation to the cam. Just line up the gears with both dots at 12 o'clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor