High intake with a spacer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Melvin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2009
I am experiencing a bog/miss at low RPM when my car is in gear. A friend of mine tells me that I should install a spacer between my intake and carb. It is a SBC with a mild cam, I already have a high rise intake on it. Oh, and another issue would be hood clearance if a spacer will solve that issue. The intake and carb are brand new. I am thinking maybe the accelerator pump. Any advise would be appreciated.

Hey, A carb spacer is not going to stop the bog. What carb are you using. ? Maybe time for a rebuild.

Doug

All I can say is I have a highrise intake, with a spacer/adapter, topped off with a drop base 14"X4" air filter. And it all fits under my stock Malibu hood.

When does this bog/miss happen? I know you said in gear but is it when you go to crack the throttle wide open, sitting still with foot on the brake in gear, etc? Let us know.

Thanks for responding. The carb and intake are brand new and it is a Holley 670 street avenger. The bog happens when I crack the throttle from a stop. I have to baby the pedal and then floor it so that the bog won't happen. Then when I go through the gears, it bogs down at high end. The distributor is MSD and new as well as I just had an MSD ignition box installed.

Brainstorming this problem has consumed all of my cruisining time and it is very annoying considering the amount of money that I have invested in this beauty. I also have a slow drain on my battery that I have been trying to diagnos, could it be possible for these two issues to be related?

:idea: high rise intake + 670 Street Avenger...

Can we get some more specs on your engine :?: camshaft :?: heads :?: compression :?: which intake is it :?:

Could be that your intake and carburetor combination do not match your engine combo :idea:

on the slow drain problem
get a ampmeter hook it between the pos cable and the batt+
start pulling fuses until its gone
then fix the faulty accessory
as far as the bog goes sounds like you have too much carb try and drop the jets a couple numbers

Sounds possibly like a miss matched engine to me. Depending on the rest of your set up. Depending on what high rise you have, might not be right for a 'mild build'. But I'm also thinking the carb is to big. Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor