Holley carb issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigfella

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 24, 2013
Just finishing up my cutlass engine swap v6 to 355 sbc
Ran great with a holley 750 double pump unfortunately it's not my carb so I had to buy one , I bought a holley 650 mechanical secondary double pump.
I made the mistake of flipping it upside down before I bolted it on the car long story short it was pumping too much fuel like it had a stuck float pulled the bowls off, floats are good checked needle and seat no dirt everything looks good . But it's still acting up not sure where to look to next ...
Here's a pic of my car just because I like it!
27zvp79.jpg

Thanks in advance

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Dumping fuel is usually a case of stuck float or needle and seat. Have to tried readjusting the floats?

Nice clean Cutlass btw.

bigfella

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 24, 2013
Dumping fuel is usually a case of stuck float or needle and seat. Have to tried readjusting the floats?

Nice clean Cutlass btw.

No we haven't adjusted anything yet , didn't want to start adjusting things if we didn't have to, going to check the level when the floats close tomorrow, I think that's the next thing to do...
Thanks! I have had it for 2 years now it's pretty nice other than a rough drivers floor pan replacement

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Good luck with it.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
It's either needle & seat or too much fuel pressure. Is it just both sides or just one? Use the bowl sight plug to check/set floats.

bigfella

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 24, 2013
It's either needle & seat or too much fuel pressure. Is it just both sides or just one? Use the bowl sight plug to check/set floats.

I don't think it's too much fuel pressure only using a mechanical fuel pump , I wouldn't think it has too much pressure , just one side I think , but it won't clean it's self out if u Rev it up , just runs like a bag of poop , haven't tried to Rev it up and get the secondary's open because the motor is fresh and the oil is starting to get washed down with gas

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
As I said use the bowl sight plug to check/set floats. If the floats are too high you will see fuel bleeding out the ventures at idle

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Unless some fine dirt got into the needle and seat. Holley's seem to be sensitive to dirt. I experienced that first hand.

I agree with Lilbowtie about checking the sight plugs for high float levels, or screw in some clear sight plugs if you don't want fuel sloshing out of your float bowls,

It couldn't hurt to check your fuel pressure with an inline pressure gauge even though it's a mechanical pump...but chances are the fuel pressure isn't the issue here.

If I'm not mistake, double pumpers don't have power valves. >?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor