Homemade LCA braces. Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
just wondering why you don't like welding on the frame and how do you box the frame without welding?
Well it’s not that I’m afraid to weld it or can’t, it’s the fact that on the passenger side the fuel line is right there on the side of the frame. Also the weld in braces I found, with the body on, I don’t think I would be able to get a good weld on the top of the brace. I realize my bolt in brackets won’t be as effective as a weld in, but I thought if I could minimize the stress, the brace would be effective. Thank you for the reply pontiacgp!

Reactions: 1 users

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
as a welding alternative i like it,not everyone can.what about some fasteners in one of these areas? View attachment 140463
Yes I agree. I was thinking about that option of putting bolts exactly where you pointed out. There is a void behind there from the contour of the frame. Now I thought I could either make some spacers or try to cut and bend and weld this “ prototype” (so to speak) to rest flat against the frame. I think it would be a little more effective that way. This is why I have asked for everyone’s input. We are all part of the R and D department! Thank you for the feedback!

Reactions: 1 user

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
They look good. What type of material did you use for them?
Thank you! It all started with a piece of 1/4” x 3” x3” angle iron.

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
What about drilling another hole in the lower control arm brackets? There is the one factory hole but what about another to help with the flex of that?

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
where? that brackets kinda flimsly as is.less holes the better
It is flimsy. Hence the reason for this thread. I think I am going to go with your idea and try to get the bolts where you marked with the red x’s.

• Agree

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
i wouldn't want to put any more holes in that bracket than it already has.it's so small/poorly attached to the frames to begin with.the frames barely 1/8" thick,you could make it out of 3/16" and still be ahead of things.it might be a little easier to work with than the 1/4.if you think of it check out square beveled washers,they could be used to fill the void behind there from the contour of the frame.
nice job btw

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
i wouldn't want to put any more holes in that bracket than it already has.it's so small/poorly attached to the frames to begin with.the frames barely 1/8" thick,you could make it out of 3/16" and still be ahead of things.it might be a little easier to work with than the 1/4.if you think of it check out square beveled washers,they could be used to fill the void behind there from the contour of the frame.
nice job btw
Those square washers were exactly what I was thinking of using. Thanks for the support and compliment!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor