Hood Hinge Question

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Ugh - I'm jealous. This is a project I need to tackle. Currently I have a custom hood prop that holds my hood up when I need to keep it open. By custom, I mean a wooden dowel that I painted chevy orange and has two tennis balls on the end so as not to mar the hood or the metal on the car.
I ordered the struts and balls from Amazon. Installed them in about 30 mins. Much better than the prop rod I was using.

Reactions: 2 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Solved the spring problem. Picked up a set of crap springs from a Cutlass at the junkyard the other day. Figured out how much to cut from each arm. 9/16" did it. Cut all 4 arms, tacked the pieces together for a test fit and DONE. Works fine. At least 1/2" from the hood to the glass and the hood stays up.
Tonight I cut the nice set and they'll be TIG welded back together Monday morning.

IMG_1271.jpg

• Creative
Reactions: 7 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
glad you found a solution,it's been a journey
More than a journey. It was a huge thorn in my side. The idea of using a pole to hold the hood open was bugging the crap out of me. Especially after putting so much work into the small details. At least it will be easier doing the second set. LOL

Reactions: 1 user

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
More than a journey. It was a huge thorn in my side. The idea of using a pole to hold the hood open was bugging the crap out of me. Especially after putting so much work into the small details. At least it will be easier doing the second set. LOL
that car's super clean those hinges will look stock and function as needed.
Awesome Sean Penn GIF

Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
If they *do* you should make up a bunch and offer a deal to the places distributing the hood.
Back when I had the car in the body shop I wanted to order a Goodmark hood. At that time they were out of stock. The guy at Goodmark told me to try AMD. Thats what I wound up buying. After I found out about the scoop being too long I called AMD and spoke to a customer rep. The guy told me they were aware that their hood would fit a wagon properly. I asked why they didnt say that in their part listings. I wont buy anything else from them.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Not be too sarcastic Mike, salesman will be salesman using ‘salesman speak’.

Salesman rule #1 : Don’t speak the ‘whole’ truth, just the convenient pieces of the truth.

Salesman rule #2 : Whatever it takes to make the sale - see rule #1.

• Haha
  • Winner
Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor