Hood Hinge Question

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Thats EXACTLY what I tried to do with the parts that I put together. If it was the same as a coupe Im sure it might have worked but again, the wagon windshield is at a different angle and the scoop on my hood is longer than a Goodmark. From the front of my hood to the back edge of the cowl scoop its 51".
I saw the picture, and saw that they were in a different spot. You can try a shorter strut mounted in your original attempted location.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I saw the picture, and saw that they were in a different spot. You can try a shorter strut mounted in your original attempted location.
Different spot ? Im not sure what you mean. I used the front hinge hole and the same bracket that you probably used that was from an OEM spring. You used the front two holes where the spring mounts to the hood correct ? As far as a shorter strut that would make the hood even lower than it is already.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Zoom in on the picture I posted. The lower part of my strut looks to be in a different spot than in the pictures you posted. I may be incorrect though.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Zoom in on the picture I posted. The lower part of my strut looks to be in a different spot than in the pictures you posted. I may be incorrect though.
Nope, same hole. The front bolt hole for the hinge. It looks different due to your hood being opened more. Thats due to the angle of your windshield. Drop the front of your hood down and youre going to see the same angle of the strut. This has been a thorn in the side. Its like I need an engineering degree to figure the open/close angles. LOL

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Mine is the same 08Malibu ‘s.

After re-reading this and seeing your photos, you need to cut the cowl to fit. At least that’s what I had to do. My hood’s cowl was designed be right on the windshield if used as a pin on, and trimming needed to clear the windshield if used with hinges.

Attachments

• IMG_1655.png
    IMG_1655.png
    8.3 MB · Views: 57
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Nope, same hole. The front bolt hole for the hinge. It looks different due to your hood being opened more. Thats due to the angle of your windshield. Drop the front of your hood down and youre going to see the same angle of the strut. This has been a thorn in the side. It’s like I need an engineering degree to figure the open/close angles. LOL
After looking at the pics again, the pics I was looking at were the regal in the junkyard. This is where the confusion came from.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Mine is the same 08Malibu ‘s.

After re-reading this and seeing your photos, you need to cut the cowl to fit. At least that’s what I had to do. My hood’s cowl was designed be right on the windshield if used as a pin on, and trimming needed to clear the windshield if used with hinges.
Easy to cut a glass hood. Steel is a bit different. Especially since the center rib ends so close to the back edge. Not many options for me to make this right.
Today Im heading out to the junkyard. Im hoping at least one G body still has the springs on the hood. Gonna mount them, mark them and cut them. See if I can get my idea to work. I might even go back and try them on one of the cars there before I try them on mine and screw something up. Time will tell.

1685102225129.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You are aware that you can get struts in different extended lengths.

And there is also the crazy expensive option of a double pivoting hinge. I think , IIRC, that gbodytoys had a write up on it. A double pivoting hinge will resolve your issue.

Reactions: 1 user

Maverick's_Monte

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2011
Rhode Island
Ugh - I'm jealous. This is a project I need to tackle. Currently I have a custom hood prop that holds my hood up when I need to keep it open. By custom, I mean a wooden dowel that I painted chevy orange and has two tennis balls on the end so as not to mar the hood or the metal on the car.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
You are aware that you can get struts in different extended lengths.

And there is also the crazy expensive option of a double pivoting hinge. I think , IIRC, that gbodytoys had a write up on it. A double pivoting hinge will resolve your issue.
Yup, Im aware. When I tried the gas struts I measured mounting ball to ball. Then I got the strut in that length that would support the most weight. Like I said, due to the angle of the hood because of the fact that the wagon windshields at a different angle and the way the hood has to stop because of the stupid scoop length the geometry was totally off. The arms for the spring are just regular stamped steel so welding them shouldnt be an issue.
I was on my way to the yard this morning and got a call from my wife. Had to turn around and head back to my house. This weeks been really crazy. Tuesday morning I had to take my daughter to the local ER. We were there from 6:30 to 1:30 Wed morning. Emergency appendectomy. Got to bed well after 2, up at 7 because my daughter was discharged. My wife didnt feel right. Figured it was from the lack of sleep and sitting in the ER for all those hours. Had to take her to the same ER this morning. Turned out she has vertigo. I know it sucks because Ive had it multiple times myself.
So, tomorrows another day. If things calm down I might try to head out to the yard again. Its always something but it could always be a lot worse.

1685131511739.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor