MALIBU Hot Rod Garage: '79 Malibu Ultimate Sleeper Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
I've lost my want for magazines and videos of "insert catchy name here" builds or auto TV shows(I did just watch Fastest Car on Netflix). That is part of why I'm on Gbody, low buck, hard work, honest projects. Lately I have been spending a lot of time on H.A.M.B. reading amazing builds with tons of detailed work.

I'm with you. The big fancy magazine cover car builds just aren't my cup of tea anymore. I'd much rather watch a YouTube series or a blog or a forum thread of a low-buck, junkyard rescue, oddball, DIY, backyard build than read a magazine article about a '69 Camaro or '70 Chevelle LS6 with $300k worth of parts thrown at it. Don't get me wrong, I still love the Camaros and the Chevelles, but it's just not that entertaining to read about.

Honestly I think the build threads here on GBF are better reads than most of the articles in the magazines.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I've been watching "FASTEST CAR" on Netflix and I want to kill myself from the brain pain. Poorly driven and poorly built shitbox "sleeper cars" piloted by drama queens vs. exotics driven by douchbag attention wh*res.

Truthfully the deviation between the two classifications of asshats isn't that distant. I honestly hope that this isn't an accurate representation of everyday America - because if so... ya'll are doomed.

Agreed. I've watched the first 3 episodes and it seems that the producers want to make the sleepers look like idiots. I think the show is more about character development than what an intelligent person can achieve with a custom build. Most of the builds on that show are ridden with failures and poor planning.

Reactions: 1 user

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I've been watching "FASTEST CAR" on Netflix and I want to kill myself from the brain pain. Poorly driven and poorly built shitbox "sleeper cars" piloted by drama queens vs. exotics driven by douchbag attention wh*res.

Truthfully the deviation between the two classifications of asshats isn't that distant. I honestly hope that this isn't an accurate representation of everyday America - because if so... ya'll are doomed.

I own foreign cars and belong to foreign car forums (an other hobby forums with multiple Europeans) Europeans vision of the US and US cars is what they see on European TV and the "discovery networks". So 2013 5.0L Mustangs are "bad cars" and are Totally Inferior to any similarly priced European cars and 1965 Mustangs are "good cars", because Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond AND Richard Rollins all said so.

5 years ago I would get into arguments with Europeans about how they have zero idea about cars in the US, because they don't live here, can't buy cars for the prices we buy them for or pay less than $2.50/gallon for gas.

Then in the last 5 years, my property valuation went up 41% (and my property taxes did too) because the whole freaking world wants to move to Texas. Now when a Europeans says how much American cars suck and how it sucks to live in America driving junky American cars, I'm right there with them. America Sucks!

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
I own foreign cars and belong to foreign car forums (an other hobby forums with multiple Europeans) Europeans vision of the US and US cars is what they see on European TV and the "discovery networks". So 2013 5.0L Mustangs are "bad cars" and are Totally Inferior to any similarly priced European cars and 1965 Mustangs are "good cars", because Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond AND Richard Rollins all said so.

5 years ago I would get into arguments with Europeans about how they have zero idea about cars in the US, because they don't live here, can't buy cars for the prices we buy them for or pay less than $2.50/gallon for gas.

Then in the last 5 years, my property valuation went up 41% (and my property taxes did too) because the whole freaking world wants to move to Texas. Now when a Europeans says how much American cars suck and how it sucks to live in America driving junky American cars, I'm right there with them. America Sucks!

You could move to europe. Not everyone wants to move to Texas either. R. Lee Ermy (rip) had a line in Full Metal Jacket that pretty much sums up my feelings.

Reactions: 1 user

rogue_ryder

Master Mechanic
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Then in the last 5 years, my property valuation went up 41% (and my property taxes did too) because the whole freaking world wants to move to Texas.

And half of Texas moved to Colorado and drove up our home prices 75-100%! :)

I still find all the sponsored car shows, even the TEN stuff to be better entertainment than most of the other crap that's on T.V. Dirt Every Day and Roadkill are great and while they are "sponsored" they're still not the Shills that the guys on Horsepower/Xtreme/Detroit/Trucks! over on Spike TV are.

HotRod TV aren't the only ones doing Gbodies on TV; Detroit Muscle is currently building a Regal, CarFix (Lou Santiago) is building a GN and I'm sure we'll soon see more and more weekend cable TV "car shows" doing over the top Gbody builds. A big part of that as mentioned earlier is a lot of the desirable late 60s/early 70s stuff is getting harder and harder to find and prohibitively expensive. A comparable A-body to my G-body would be 3-4x as expensive (as of today). The downside to this exposure is that the prices are going to trend right where Chevelles went.

The other side of the coin is that those of us who have fond memories of these cars are getting older and now have the means to buy and build them into one of their dream cars. Buick GNs, T-Types, Olds 442s, Monte SSs & Grand Prix 2+2 along with IROCs, Formulas and 5.0 Foxes were considered anemic junk and undersized small cars to the Muscle Car guys that grew up driving them in the 70s. As I've heard people in my father's generation call them a "real disappointment". But to us Gen-X'ers that owned or wanted these cars in the 80s and 90s we thought they were cool and now we want them again (on top of it most of know how to turn our Gbodies into powerhouses that will embarrass many of those old 60s/70s cars).

Even though those Hot Rod guys are using free parts from Summit/Jegs etc. that would cost us thousands, there's still plenty of used stuff out there for a fraction of the price. Locally I just found a fresh built TH400 (beefied up not a stock rebuild) and a GearVendors O.D. (used and not rebuilt) for under $1000 (for both units). Out of a Catalog you'd be looking at close to $4K for those pieces.

Reactions: 1 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
And half of Texas moved to Colorado and drove up our home prices 75-100%! :)

They took the huge chunk of money the foreigners paid for their house and got out, leaving the rest of us with high property tax valuations.

With all G-bodies being allowed in the NSRA and Good-Guys, (while the better FOX bodies, 3rd gens and C4's are not) there will likely be renewed focus on G-bodies

Last edited:

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
You could move to europe. Not everyone wants to move to Texas either. R. Lee Ermy (rip) had a line in Full Metal Jacket that pretty much sums up my feelings.

If you ever get into an argument with a European (or Californian - same thing) about cars or Idaho, agree with him that American cars suck and Idaho is a hell hole or the next thing you know, the guy will be buying a plane ticket and wanting to move there and ruin the place.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ

I want to see a (car show) where Mike blasts his wagon down the track smokes some European supercar with enough of a lead to get out and shoot the asshat before he gets his Euro trash to the end of the track. Now that would be great tv

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Do working people actually buy all that high priced stuff they use on these shows?

Only way I can see many people doing it is on credit. Personally, I prefer to build as I can afford, hence my stuff will never be "magazine quality" or done quickly.

• Agree
Reactions: 7 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor