MALIBU Hot Rod Garage: '79 Malibu Ultimate Sleeper Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Do working people actually buy all that high priced stuff they use on these shows?

Only way I can see many people doing it is on credit. Personally, I prefer to build as I can afford, hence my stuff will never be "magazine quality" or done quickly.

Debt comes from the implusiveness of people's desire of not wanting to be seen as "not having" status symbols - a big house, fancy cars, nice clothes, the latest doodads - because they allow themselves to be made to feel inferior for "not having".

It is all one big farce.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Debt comes from the implusiveness of people's desire of not wanting to be seen as "not having" status symbols - a big house, fancy cars, nice clothes, the latest doodads - because they allow themselves to be made to feel inferior for "not having".

It is all one big farce.
You nailed that on the head!!!

One thing I'm personally proud as I'm sure alot of you guys are is that I've done this "budget" LS swap on a "cash only" mentality...if I don't have the cash, I don't buy until I save enough. It takes me a little longer than some, but I don't owe anybody anything which feels wonderful! I grew debt like crazy when younger because I needed stuff quick and didn't have the patience to save. Granted I paid cash for alot, but big ticket items were acquired via the credit monsters!!!

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 4 users

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Don't know if anyone's seen part 2, went up last weekend I believe. But yeah, same old stuff. "Oh hey yeah lets just shove a QA1 coilover setup in there and a Currie 9" we had laying around and tape some $100 bills up there, too just because." I don't even want to guess how much is in that car. At least $10k from the engine to the corners.

That and the whole car chase thing at the end was retarded, went as far as jumping the thing airborne and if you look carefully you can see where the front end got tweaked and things busted up..... you have to wonder. Hopefully these two episodes just fade away into obscurity and are never spoken of again. Giant waste of a perfectly clean California car.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
I'm more than that in my build. Car was free, loads of junkyard parts. The little stuff kills the budget.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
I'm more than that in my build. Car was free, loads of junkyard parts. The little stuff kills the budget.

don't get me wrong, its not about the money per se, yeah this stuff ain't cheap, just the "its so easy, just get this mega expensive kit/part like our sponsors gave us for free and install it in 5 minutes like you see here...." and then they basically trash the car in the end, that was the worst part. I looked up the Holley EFI kit they "just threw in there" and it alone was like $2K. I mean, yeah its cool and all, but your average slob like us building a 4 door malibu probably isn't going that route.

Not that I'd really mind if anyone did that COUGH HINT COUGH around these parts (PM me for shipping address and details), just COUGH saying, but its a little misleading. "Magazine builds" and all that if you know what I mean. I know its always been like that though.

• Agree

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I think everyone is taking gthese shows a little too seriously. Budget is different for different people... Hell it's different for me now than it was ten years ago. There is room and the need for both. I was always a do it as cheap as you can kinda guy. Now that I've owned my car for 24 years and fixing or replacing things I've already done, I'm kinda seeing why it makes sense to spend money in some areas and do it right the first time... Hence why I dropped the coin on RideTech front suspension. If you had told me ten years ago I would end up spending that much for a-arms and coilovers I would've told you you're nuts! Yet here I am

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor