MALIBU Hot Rod Garage: '79 Malibu Ultimate Sleeper Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Do working people actually buy all that high priced stuff they use on these shows?

Only way I can see many people doing it is on credit. Personally, I prefer to build as I can afford, hence my stuff will never be "magazine quality" or done quickly.
Unless you put 59 caddy taillights in it and get it in super Chevy lol

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Do working people actually buy all that high priced stuff they use on these shows?

Only way I can see many people doing it is on credit. Personally, I prefer to build as I can afford, hence my stuff will never be "magazine quality" or done quickly.

I got married at SEMA in 1995 and we went back in 1997 and that was just the beginning of the "Ricer" thing. My dad was childhood friends with Dick Wells who started SEMA and we spent 8 solid hours walking SEMA with Dick, and talking to vendors. All the time my engineer's robot brain was crunching numbers in my head and flashing "does not compute! does not compute!".

Think back to Japanese cars in the mid 1990's. They weren't todays "luxury cars" they were $10K crap boxes. New.

I say to Dick Wells "So you are telling me a blue collar guy is going to put $15K into a $2,500 car so he can run a 13 second 1/4 mile? Really?" If you say so. And yet they did and they still do.

I built my T-type the way I did (keeping it stock appearing) because the "bolt on" mentality of GN guys in the 1990's was a borderline sickness. People waited for their ATR, BGC, Postons, Etc catalog to show up so they could order the next miracle part hyped to knock .5 seconds off their ET. If you added up all of the .5 Second reductions, you'd be violating the laws of space-time. Few actually took their GN's to the track and most were disappointed with the performance of their bolt on parts when they did. Those vendors don't exist today because the internet showed people the truth about "bolt ons" and people could hear the opinions of people that didn't get the parts for free (or were selling them).

UNGN means its Not a Black GN, but it also means I'm not THAT "bolt on" GN guy.

You can have a beautiful show piece, but nothing is better than going to the track, popping the hood:
DSCN6918.JPG

and then having a a "bolt-on" GN guy ask me "whats it run?" and saying "11.53@118 on radials, but it has more in it".

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 2 users

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Nine times out of 10, cars are money pits, new or used. Especially if you want something done right, you're going to have to pay, either for the parts, or the parts + someone to build it. Unless you're super-resourceful and handy, most so-called "budget" builds are half-@$$.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
If you ever get into an argument with a European (or Californian - same thing) about cars or Idaho, agree with him that American cars suck and Idaho is a hell hole or the next thing you know, the guy will be buying a plane ticket and wanting to move there and ruin the place.

But Idaho is a hell hole.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Nine times out of 10, cars are money pits, new or used. Especially if you want something done right, you're going to have to pay, either for the parts, or the parts + someone to build it. Unless you're super-resourceful and handy, most so-called "budget" builds are half-@$$.
Ya know, "budget" is a 4 letter word when you put it custom car context. When I had the engine done for the 67, the budget ran over another 50%. Still HP left on the table because I got tired of hemorrhaging money.....
The Pig- "junkyard build" my @$$!!!!!! Yeah, it cost less than an LS swap, I did the bodywork and paint, and it took forever. I would really have to question the sanity of someone that paid a shop to do what I did for "fun". I'm still questioning my own sanity.....

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Austin schlacter

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 18, 2018
Although I don't agree with their "sleeper" budget I enjoy watching it and seeing them burn rubber. Poor car will be abused and parked for 5 years for roadkill to ultimately ruin :(

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Ya know, "budget" is a 4 letter word when you put it custom car context. When I had the engine done for the 67, the budget ran over another 50%. Still HP left on the table because I got tired of hemorrhaging money.....
The Pig- "junkyard build" my @$$!!!!!! Yeah, it cost less than an LS swap, I did the bodywork and paint, and it took forever. I would really have to question the sanity of someone that paid a shop to do what I did for "fun". I'm still questioning my own sanity.....
Haha, my LS swap began as a "budget" build! I did good on the short block and cam, and it all went to hell in a hand basket from there!!! That's partly because I'm picky and building a cruiser/show car and can't justify using some of the ugly *ss LS parts.
The intention was to stay around $2K, but I've surpassed that and then some. Add in the eventual boost($2400/kit), the $1700 into the trans that's not complete, future rearend swap, and now I'm getting nauseous lol!!!!

These shows are good at showing new products, but rarely have a budget minded approach compared to the way us commoners build our cars.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
They're also the J.D. Power equivalent of reviews on new parts. Sure, initially it looks good and installs well, but how does it perform long term? I saw a Gas Monkey build at a car show (back when Kauffman was there), and it wasn't all that impressive. I can do better work.

Reactions: 1 user

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
So far I'm roughly 12k into my budget turbocharged LS swapped sleeper.

I could cut a bunch of corners and get it done alot cheaper now but it would just end up being an even bigger POS than it already is.

• Agree

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I want to see a (car show) where Mike blasts his wagon down the track smokes some European supercar with enough of a lead to get out and shoot the asshat before he gets his Euro trash to the end of the track. Now that would be great tv

Not worth the time, the gas, or the bullet. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor