How bad are these bearings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Here is a set of connecting rod bearings out of my big truck.

The truck has been getting a slight knock on the #8 cylinder, and this is what I found when I pulled it apart. I have got the bearings replaced but have not got oil back in it yet to try out the new ones. I hope this fixes it because I would rather set myself on fire than get that oil pan off again.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Bottom one has obvious wear in the middle. How did the journals look?

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Journals look perfect, the more worn bearing was the one on the rod side. The less worn bearing was on the cap side. Nothing showed any signs of oil starvation. This bearing has about 90,000 hard miles on it before I got the truck.

SmooveG

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 25, 2009
you sure it's not piston slap. I went thru this and no longer worry about it

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
It looks like on the bottom one it is about to wear into the copper, did you look at any other bearings?
Also I don't see where you said what engine this is.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
I cracked the injector to keep it from firing, and the noise went away completely. I switched the injectors between #1 and #8 to eliminate fuel knock and it stayed with #8 cylinder. I got the bearings swapped and put back together and the the thing sounds exactly the same. I checked the rockers assembly for anything out of place and it seems fine. Kind of frustrating really as it runs really good other than the noise.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
It's either piston slap, the rod is out of round, or the crank is out of round, even though it looked fine.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Bearings looked like a high mileage engine w/ wear - the upper has gone through the overlay and as 565 said looking at copper. I wouldn't see these causing the knock(as it didn't) but the right time to swap them out. Some have mentioned piston slap which it could be but I would think you would hear it on a cold engine and kinda go away once the engine comes up to temp. Could also be a wrist pin, did you feel for it when you changed the bearing?? Sure would like to hear the noise!

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
This is in a 7.3 IDI diesel. The same engine that you would find in a 1988-1992 Ford Truck. I can't guarantee that it is not just piston slap or a stretched rod, but about everything about diesel engines are heavy and freaking expensive.

My next thought is to just get a different piston and connecting rod as they are decently easy to find used, and just swap the whole shebang out. It may be a harmless enough noise but it is a pretty loud noise, and having a connecting rod or piston let go and trash the block scares me.

The mileage isn't too bad on this engine, but it has idled a lot in its life and it has 5.38 gears in it so it runs at 2600 RPM at 55 mph (on the governor)

Here is a clip of it running -

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor