How Crappy Is Your Air Cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
Thanks for posting. I was always under the impression the drop base helped air flow move in a curve up to the carb inlet and therfore flowed better. Glad that got cleared up. I have been running a 14x5 on a drop base, might run an air cleaner lid on a solid base instead, sort of the salad bowl only shorter.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Years ago I had a sheetmetal box that would seal the carb to my cowl hood... Its base was built off of one of those triangle foam filters. It worked really well because it was flat across to the barrels in the main body. Anything that radiuses air smoothly into the carb/throttle body is going to be a benefit, especially if you can gain velocity toward/past the valve.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
What's missing in that test is the air/fuel mixtures with each filter. Without tweaking the carb for each filter we don't know which filter is best.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
What's missing in that test is the air/fuel mixtures with each filter. Without tweaking the carb for each filter we don't know which filter is best.

If something is sucking 100+ hp, tweaking the air/fuel mixture won't get much of that back.

I've always thought the tiny hats and the fly eyes killed HP and this just confirmed it. Too bad they didn't have one of those 3 butterfly top fuel airfilters that were kool back in the 1980's.

Once they ruled out the restrictive designs, smooth airflow to the carb seemed to make most HP. More airflow, that is providing the air in a turbulent manner, made less HP than Less airflow with smooth air. It's not the quantity, it is the quality.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I think the GM dual snorkels are less restrictive than that Mopar. Olds was thinking with the filter that opened from the top with their forced air setup and probably was part of the reason for the change from the dual snorkel in 1970.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
That data really don't mean much to me. It's a 489 CID race engine sucking an ungodly amount of air. They don't start taking data till 4750 RPM and @ 500HP and not seeing much change till 650 HP. Not many of us in that territory. I hope it was the editing because they were showing testing w/ and w/o the 1" spacer. I would like to see some testing in a realistic range, but it was interesting.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
They should redo it with a street engine that covers the 250-350 hp range with basic carbs & exhaust. Shame they don't troll this forum to read some of our views/opinions/ramblings on this.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Shoulda coulda woulda. The test was mostly entertainment with some basic perspective. All in all gave a basic idea of which are mega horrible versus which kinda suck. Yes, those are my scientific measurement standards.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor