How Crappy Is Your Air Cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would like to see the tests with the engine in a car with the hood closed with the ambient temp heated to the equivalent of 1/2 hour drive in the car.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
About to get a LOT better compared to the 14" round chrome hot air model I've been running. Air boxes for the front corners are cut and glued. Need to fab the lids and wrap the boxes with carbon fiber wrap . . . done!

IMG_0900 (2).jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I agree that they are restrictive but I think even with that restriction that set up will feed the carb more air than it can use.
Yep. The dual intake setup I had on my EFI'd 355 sucked a ton of air to supply the 1000cfm throttle body well....
20150407_154124.jpg

We did a similar setup on my brother n laws 68 Camaro with a 468BBC. The gain could be felt instantly over the drop base setup he had prior.
20150519_173820.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
They should redo it with a street engine that covers the 250-350 hp range with basic carbs & exhaust. Shame they don't troll this forum to read some of our views/opinions/ramblings on this.

The problem with that is the results won't be as dramatic. At the end of the day we have been given some points to consider following the conclusion of this test - warts and all.

If you have a couple of long corrugated 2.5" tubes converging into a carb hat that is going to be pretty restrictive (turbulent converging air is bad for flow) by comparison to a shorter single 4" tube with an appropriately sized filter. However, there is something to be said for ambient air over underhood heated air. Scooped outside air running over a sealed filter element is best (the Hellcat engines do this really well).

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/air-flow-in-pipe-diameter-change-affect-performance.340678/

More of the same:
https://www.google.ca/search?q=auto...=0ahUKEwiH6rCL3sXXAhUk3IMKHbSUCHEQrQIIZigDMAs

The intake tube can become an extension of the intake manifold once the throttle is fully opened and can increase plenum volume to aid in filling the cylinders. However, there is a point of diminishing returns with any design. I do know that the elephant penis intake on the wagon is probably a bit excessive for the application (its total length is just plain silly), and when I move to a 90mm intake/TB combo for next year I will be running a shorter intake tube.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Just an FYI - that corrugated hose is very restrictive and doesn't flow well.

Yeah, I know. Sad thing is I'm an engineer and am completely capable of calculating all of this but I just get lazy sometimes and merely ask supplier's questions. Spectre said "stretched" dual 4s will flow >1200cfm. I need 800. Unfortunately, flex tubes matter, bends matter, size changes from 4 down to 3 1/2 back to 4 matter. But, based on the stretched 4s will flow 1200 and I only need 800, I decided I could make this work especially combined with lowering the input air temp significantly is also good.

Best would be dual snorkel with 45 degree exits straight to the front corners with 4" smooth tubes directly into the filters. But, that I cannot plumb up.

I can go straight out sideways, reduce to 3 1/2, over the valve covers, hard 90 tube bend [not shown BTW - I have those], 3 1/2 flex straight forward, hard 45 tube bend [also not shown - I have those too], into the corner filters.

Though this will still be primarily a show car, once I realize on the track the HP I'm making is not sufficient, I may want to change to EFI, bump up the cfm, and add headers [ugh!] . . . hopefully I'll die first! Just drive it Garth! But, if I wanted to do that, it would be nice to NOT do this dual snorkel twice.

Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Yeah, I know. Sad thing is I'm an engineer and am completely capable of calculating all of this but I just get lazy sometimes and merely ask supplier's questions. Spectre said "stretched" dual 4s will flow >1200cfm. I need 800. Unfortunately, flex tubes matter, bends matter, size changes from 4 down to 3 1/2 back to 4 matter. But, based on the stretched 4s will flow 1200 and I only need 800, I decided I could make this work especially combined with lowering the input air temp significantly is also good.

Best would be dual snorkel with 45 degree exits straight to the front corners with 4" smooth tubes directly into the filters. But, that I cannot plumb up.

I can go straight out sideways, reduce to 3 1/2, over the valve covers, hard 90 tube bend [not shown BTW - I have those], 3 1/2 flex straight forward, hard 45 tube bend [also not shown - I have those too], into the corner filters.

Though this will still be primarily a show car, once I realize on the track the HP I'm making is not sufficient, I may want to change to EFI, bump up the cfm, and add headers [ugh!] . . . hopefully I'll die first! Just drive it Garth! But, if I wanted to do that, it would be nice to NOT do this dual snorkel twice.

Better to have an engineer err on the side of conservativeness than have one who welds 1" thick plate to his frame. I genuinely believe that we all only want the best for each other here, and offer the best advice possible to see everyone succeed in their projects. The intention is not to beat anyone up... unless you try to convince us that welding on 2" thick plate is a well engineered solution.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

if you need 800 cfm and are taking in 1,200 cfm you are irresponsibly hogging the air that someone could use to breath....:D

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan

Your set up should work. A set up like the 70 W30/W31 with a scoop made functional would be better. I got crap from Joe Pavadino on Classic Olds. He said my scoop position on my 88 Cutlass wasn't good for flow. I have a 10" × 2.5" open filter with a Dualjet base feeding a Dualjet on an Olds 260. I feel good about my 70S elbow from inside the fender and the short 4" dryer hose which should flow better than the black corrigated hose into the other fender going into my homemade dual snorkel with an Accel filter. Unfortunately the taller 455 leaves squat for room under the hood so you have done the best you can and it will feed your mild 455 OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor