How did it know?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Some clocks have a built in receiver to pick up the signal the atomic clock sends out every 15 minutes. Not sure how else to explain it.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
This clock doesn't have a receiver for the atomic clock. It's using a built-in calendar to decide when to change the time. (once you set it of course.) If you screw up the settings, it will just move it ahead 1 hour from where it is or move it back when it hits 2 AM on the calendar day it's supposed to change. So if you set it 2 hours ahead right now, it'll move it to 3 hours ahead at 2AM on 03/8/2020.

Some clocks will tell you they rely on an atomic clock signal. We have one of those weather station deals that relies on the atomic clock signal to keep time. A receiver is built in to specifically receive that signal. As long as it can "see" it.

Of course, you can always chalk it up to magic. :unsure:

Reactions: 1 user

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
I bought a big clock for my kitchen. Think public school/ DMV size. It runs on 110 volts AC plugged into an outlet behind the clock. It was advertised as self-changing when DST starts and ends. But I had to set the initial time the normal way with a little wheel in back. Last night it changed to Standard Time all by itself!!! How did it do that?!? It is not wired to anything but my house current. I don't have WiFi.

I'm still trying to figure this part out!? o_O

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
It's using a built-in calendar to decide when to change the time. (once you set it of course.)
That makes the most sense so far. Ok so I hang it on the wall and set the time. That is in the instructions. Just set it and forget it. How does it know what day it is? Because the first day it changed by an hour. Next day same thing. I finally set it wrong by an hour so it would end up correct. Which it did. So I figured it was stupid and would never figure it when to change on DST. Yet, it did. I am so confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor