How do i fix this??

Status
Not open for further replies.

84cutlasssupreme

Apprentice
Nov 2, 2019
This door is pretty bad. Can I save it? I can weld a bit and I have some patience when it comes to shaping and prep but this looks pretty bad. Does anyone know if I can get a patch panel for this or am I gonna have to make something myself. I guess I can't make any worse right? Any advise is appreciated.
What year & make is your car? Like someone else here said find another door from down south, or even the western states that don't salt. I live in Mn. so I know all about rust. When I owned my '84 Cutlass I got t-boned by a garbage truck & my body guy found the door & quarter panel in Kentucky for example.

Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
What year & make is your car? Like someone else here said find another door from down south, or even the western states that don't salt. I live in Mn. so I know all about rust. When I owned my '84 Cutlass I got t-boned by a garbage truck & my body guy found the door & quarter panel in Kentucky for example.

Its not just salt, rain alone can rot the door bottoms out. Even in good shape the sweep seals do not seal 100% and still allow some rain water to seep into the door and pool on top of the bottom seam. The doors are simply not designed to last.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Steve 82 Elly

Greasemonkey
Feb 2, 2020
82 El camino

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I’d start fixing what you have while still searching for OEs. I did that before then sold the repaired doors to recoup most of my cost when I found perfect southern doors. BTW the last time I bought fiberglass to make my console, it sure wasn’t what I’d call cheap, just cheaper.

Cal902

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 15, 2021
This door is pretty bad. Can I save it? I can weld a bit and I have some patience when it comes to shaping and prep but this looks pretty bad. Does anyone know if I can get a patch panel for this or am I gonna have to make something myself. I guess I can't make any worse right? Any advise is appreciated.
I've been following your thread here as I'm in the same boat looking for door bottoms and Goodmark are out of them and don't have a date for receiving any more! Also I've had a guy up here who goes south twice a year and he hasn't been able to find any for me either so, if anyone happens to find like 3 of them shoot me a note as well as Steve 82 Elly:. Thanks

fly_25

Greasemonkey
Oct 20, 2020
I don`t see an issue with using fiberglass to patch that, just cut the rust out and apply some sheets of fiberglass to that area and sand it smooth. I would use an epoxy resin rather than the polyester resin just for added durability and adhesion. Just my 2 cents, I am no autobody professional. At least fiberglass can`t rust out again.

Reactions: 1 users

Smack-it

Apprentice
Dec 31, 2018
I don`t see an issue with using fiberglass to patch that, just cut the rust out and apply some sheets of fiberglass to that area and sand it smooth. I would use an epoxy resin rather than the polyester resin just for added durability and adhesion. Just my 2 cents, I am no autobody professional. At least fiberglass can`t rust out again.
this guy gets it.

Reactions: 1 users

druggles85

Pendejo
Oct 25, 2009
Exeter, NH
For mine, I bought a door to swap. The. I pounded mine full of bondo hair... Figure I'll get a couple years out of it.

Who knows,my car might not even be a Regal in a couple years, I wouldn't say no to a solid malibu body. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor