How do i fix this??

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I was going to ask Michigan door, but you answered that already . Southern Michigan or do you mean Toledo? Get another door not worth the time and electricity to weld. I bet the other side is just as good?

Reactions: 1 users

Steve 82 Elly

Greasemonkey
Feb 2, 2020
I was going to ask Michigan door, but you answered that already . Southern Michigan or do you mean Toledo? Get another door not worth the time and electricity to weld. I bet the other side is just as good?
No, not Toledo, Southwest Michigan right between Kalamazoo and Battle Creek. Actually, the other door is perfect, just the inner drivers door.

DJHull

Master Mechanic
Apr 28, 2015
Lansing, Mi
You might check with www.GBodyParts.com they had several used doors a few years ago. They may be gone. I think he was asking $500-$600 each. He will ship if you have a business you can ship tbem to.

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
The not so short answer to your question is, it depends. I went through the exercise of trying to reconstruct that lower shelf on a M/Carlo inner door skin several years ago and found that I had to make the replacement in several sections and piece them in. Based on your pictures, you would have to come all the way up and onto the flat lands to find good solid un-rusted metal. If the outer skin is still intact, it can be done, but I agree with others on this thread who bring up the valid points of time and money. To them I would add some type of metal break or stretcher/shrinker due to the curves and angles. The other thing you would have to replicate is the holes for the plastic tees that hold the lower door gasket in place. They are not drilled at random; the pattern for them matches the locations for the tees in the gasket. If the inner skin parts are available still they would be the easiest way to go. Only complication to that is that Good Mark may still be shut down and not producing components due to COVid. I have been waiting on an outer door skin from them for almost a year.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
When I replaced my doors I actually sold my rusty ones to someone that saw them sitting in my garage when they were here buying something else they said they were going to cut out the rust and then fiberglass it, I had already stripped them of their mirrors and power windows and locks so I was happy to take their money.

Reactions: 3 users

g3chevy

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2019
Spring, Texas
If you've got a mig and a little patience you could repair them. Here's a guy I've been following for a few months now on YouTube. He used to own his own restoration shop up in Canada so he has seen his fair share of rust. He makes it look easy but I've used some of his tips in my work and it's made a huge difference. Here's the link to his door repair video. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 users

Smack-it

Apprentice
Dec 31, 2018
IMO.... which is whatever. Id would cut the rust out and fiberglass a new panel. Fiber glass is cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor