how do i replace my heater core in my monte ss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1984-monte-carlo-ss

G-Body Guru
May 30, 2011
Long Island, New York
my heater core is going bad and of course its starting to get pretty cold out. will i need to drain all the fluids? where is it? and what procedures will i have to do...thanks guys

First off, you'll have to carefully unscrew the top of the airbox. First remove the lower stainless windshield strip..and probably the wiper arms. Then the screen portion of the airbox top. Be careful...don't force anything. The screws are a small hex head self tapping type, and some may be hidden. Then proceed to unscrew the screws around the perimeter of the airbox top. Make sure they're all removed before gently prying up the top of the airbox.
You'll probably have to drain off some of the coolant to lower the level. Then unscrew the clamps holding the heater hoses.
Pick up a pack of 3M strip caulk from your local bodyshop supply, or a better auto parts store.
Once the top of the airbox is off, reach in and grab the heater core and pull it straight up.
Then reverse the procedure after installing the replacement. Use the strip caulk to seal the top of the airbox.
It's not difficult, just requires alittle care and patience.

Pay attention to which screw went where...if you put the wrong one in over the core, it will puncture the core tube.

pontiacgp said:
1984-monte-carlo-ss said:
forgot to mention its an a/c car

Jack assumed it was and you can follow his directions....how old are your heater hoses?

Good point, Steve.
That would be an excellent time to replace the heater hoses. They're usually overlooked.

Ya gotta admit, heater core -placement was brilliant on A-G bodies. Especially without AC. Any other car I'd rather set it on fire than do a core. :!:

Bonnewagon said:
Ya gotta admit, heater core -placement was brilliant on A-G bodies. Especially without AC. Any other car I'd rather set it on fire than do a core. :!:
haha i know what you meean, it took 8 hours to do one in his jeep...had to remove the whole damn dash but ok thanks i already replaced those a couple years ago, but theyre green =/ lol ill make sure i know what screw goes where. on mitchell on demand it didnt tell me how to do it, but it said its a 2.5 hr job at a shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor