How do I replace the rear suspension bushings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I was going to buy a suspension kit for the back of my Cutlass, but sadly, circumstances now require that I start using the car as my daily driver/ pizza car. So, I need to rebuild the rear suspension as cheaply as possible in order to make the car safe to use on a daily basis. I have never replaced the bushings in suspension arms before as I have always paid a machine shop to do it for me. However, times are tough and money is tight, so I am looking for a way to do it myself using stock replacement rubber bushings. Any advice is welcome, but please don't recommend poly bushings as I don't have the budget for anything more than stock. Plus, this is hopefully a temporary situation and I will be able to get a new car for work soon and take the Cutlass out of service once again.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
If you don't have a press, or access to one, there is a way to do it (without damaging the control arms) if you may have some heavy wall tubing, very thick washers, and a long "grade eight" or better bolt and nut. You need a chunk of tubing that will fit over the flange of the old bushing and make contact with the control arm. Place a heavy washer at the smal end of the control arm bushing (one that will slide through the control arm hole but still make contact with the bushing shell), run the bolt through the washer, control arm bushing, through the tube and place another washer on top of the tube, put the nut on top. Get out the impact and draw the bushing out. This isn't the easiest or quickest way but it does work, and if you have the junk laying around, it's free. reverse the tool you have just made, to draw the new bushing in.

pontiacman469

Master Mechanic
Jul 18, 2008
Bangor,Maine
Couldn't you find a set of old factory arms someone has kicking around since alot of people replace there control arms?Polys arn't that much i got mine at jegs for 29 i think.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I already tried using another set of used lowers from a 3rd gen Camaro (they are a direct interchange as GM used G body brakes and some suspension parts when they developed the 3rd gen), but it made no difference. I figure that the issue is with the uppers as the car has a bad vibration over 50 mph, probably due to a angularity issue. However, all the parts in question are now over 20 years old, and rubber does not age well over that much time. So, I figure that the only way to do it is to do it right. After all, I am thinking this will be temporary, but it may end up being much longer if circumstances work out that way.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Wow! The bushings are expensive! Autozone wants $14 a piece for stock rubber, or like $95 for a complete set of poly bushings. I think I will just get the polys as they are easier to install ( reusing the stock cans) and not really any more expensive in price. In fact, I think polys wind up being cheaper than rubber.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
I don't know how much you've done so far but summit sells rear poly bushing kits for $80, I just bought the complete suspension kit for $175. Comes with front & rear control arm bushings, rear spring isolators, sway bar links, trans mount, and ball joint & tie rod boots.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
84cutspreme said:
I don't know how much you've done so far but summit sells rear poly bushing kits for $80, I just bought the complete suspension kit for $175. Comes with front & rear control arm bushings, rear spring isolators, sway bar links, trans mount, and ball joint & tie rod boots.
When I checked their site today, all I saw was a kit for about $95. If you have a link to a cheaper set, I would appreciate it if you would post it for me. As for how far I have gotten, I haven't even started on it yet as I am pressed for money right now and can't afford it until a week or two from now. I have $25 in my pocket, and my water gets shut off in a week if I don't come up with $175. Plus, my $200 insurance bill is due at the same time. So, I have to try to make up that money before I can buy the bushings. I would have been OK if my truck had not died this week, but sadly, it upset my apple cart pretty badly and now I am scrambling to come up with the money to pay my bills.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
too bad you were not closer ! I bought 2 new rubber bushings last fall and never used them when I swapped out the rear end on my car.

Here's hoping luck ( and money ) is around the corner !! If you want them they're your but the cost of shipping would probably be more than what you could buy them for new.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
we usually burn the rubber out of old ones making them easier to remove and for the new ones stick the bushings in the freezer overnite before you install them...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor