How do you guys fund your G body?

Status
Not open for further replies.

81_El_Homewrecker

Greasemonkey
Oct 26, 2015
Just interested in what everyone does for work when not working on their G body? I was s locomotive mechanic for 4 years and recently left the railroad and joined General Electric. Now I am a Material Technical Advisor for their locomotives at a Canadian National railway shop.

Last edited:

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Semi-Self employed. Freight forwarding, 3pl, warehousing, pack and package. ( should have stayed in school or stayed with a trade )
However none of my gbody money comes from the household. I do some store installs and flip the occasional car / parts on the side to fund my toy.

jeremyandthemonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 20, 2014
I only 18 so I am jumping around jobs till my apprenticeship but most of my money came from parting out gbodys an d dishwashing so If anyone says they can't afford a old car it's a load of dirt

81_El_Homewrecker

Greasemonkey
Oct 26, 2015
How do you do all of that self employed? That's pretty cool though! I'm getting my bachelors in supply chain and logistics so I find it interesting that you do all of that.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I'm a mechanic by trade. I fix transit buses. It helps to make the money to fund the cars, and in most cases, I get free labour.
Homewrecker, just curious, but what part of the country are you in?

Rick_B_86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 11, 2014
Manitoba, Canada
Millwright for a poultry processing plant. I set aside a bit of money every payday until I've got enough for the next step of the project. Progress has slowed down quite a bit due to saving money for a down-payment on a house.

81_El_Homewrecker

Greasemonkey
Oct 26, 2015
I'm a mechanic by trade. I fix transit buses. It helps to make the money to fund the cars, and in most cases, I get free labour.
Homewrecker, just curious, but what part of the country are you in?
South side of Chicago. I see you're in Canada so I'm sure you are familiar with CN. Hahaha

81_El_Homewrecker

Greasemonkey
Oct 26, 2015
Millwright for a poultry processing plant. I set aside a bit of money every payday until I've got enough for the next step of the project. Progress has slowed down quite a bit due to saving money for a down-payment on a house.

Yea it's rough...keep chugging though! I worked on mine for about 6 years and just last month I finished the last thing I wanted which was the 8.8 swap. Now I'm just fine tuning it and enjoying it!

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
How do you do all of that self employed? That's pretty cool though! I'm getting my bachelors in supply chain and logistics so I find it interesting that you do all of that.

I am thinking of going back to school and get the degree to match the experience. I have worked in "the trade" since '90 and live by my rolodex. I purposely keep it small to do what I can do "in-house" and the rest is 3rd party. Its a constant hustle but I like it as I like to think it matches my personality. If I need more money I bid on more jobs.

FWIW the degree will get you a desk in a warehouse office of a big place. Decent pay, benefits, and unfortunately it seems to be a 3-5 year cycle before you hit the glass ceiling and have to move on. I have brought both my nephews into work with me and convinced both of them to get into a Trade. Electrician to start then on to programmable controls seems to yield one of the best " future pay " vs " school debtload " these days as long as you can convince someone to sign you up and you pay for the schooling and move on to the "controls" portion before you kill your body hauling cable up and down ladders 10 hours a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor