How much refrigerant is needed to kick the ac clutch on for an empty system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
With the relay plugged in it appears to function, I have power at the 2 green wires with the harness unplugged and when I plug it in the brown wire will have power through the relay.
The problem is the brown wire only goes to the 3 prong plug that doesn't plug into anything and the 4th wire in the relay harness is my clutch wire which gets no power unless I jump it.
So if I keep the relay then how do I trigger it to give power to the clutch wire?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Also when I jumped the 2 wires I had power at the clutch wire and when I plugged in the pressure switch the clutch clicked.
But this is obviously bypassing the relay.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
See if the brown/white is your feed from the interior switch. I recall that was the color I was looking for behind my dash. That brown/white turns to light green on the engine side of the firewall and feeds the low pressure switch and idle-up solenoid. The dark green is the compressor side of the low pressure switch. Ground the black at the compressor.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
The brown wire is likely showing 12v through the coil as fed by a green wire because it's going nowhere. From what you are describing, it's actually a normally closed relay rather than a normally open which the first diagram showed. In that case, you're golden. You may find that if you ground that brown wire the relay opens and compressor disengages.

Reactions: 1 user

hoffa65

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
The brown wire is likely showing 12v through the coil as fed by a green wire because it's going nowhere. From what you are describing, it's actually a normally closed relay rather than a normally open which the first diagram showed. In that case, you're golden. You may find that if you ground that brown wire the relay opens and compressor disengages.
the diagram shows a NC relay, Contacts are closed when energized. NO relays contacts are open when energized. "normally" means state when energised.

hoffa65

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
With the relay plugged in it appears to function, I have power at the 2 green wires with the harness unplugged and when I plug it in the brown wire will have power through the relay.
The problem is the brown wire only goes to the 3 prong plug that doesn't plug into anything and the 4th wire in the relay harness is my clutch wire which gets no power unless I jump it.
So if I keep the relay then how do I trigger it to give power to the clutch wire?
cut the brown wire out of the 3 prong plug and ground it to the fan motor ground as shown in Tundera post.

Not sure why you want to keep a relay that does nothing but do what you want to do and be done with it

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
After looking at 6 pages of this just getting home from an almost 12 hour day, I think I'm glad I pulled all the old factory stuff out while it was still functioning & replaced it all with a vintage air setup. All new & one set of instructions.
Did have to troubleshoot it this year, approx. 12 years old & figure out it needed Freon. Was easy though.

If the safety switch & compressor work bypassing whatever cruddy relay that was & doesn't Keep anything unwanted powered up with the switch off, I think I'd quit while I'm ahead.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
the diagram shows a NC relay, Contacts are closed when energized. NO relays contacts are open when energized. "normally" means state when energised.
I don't want to muddy the thread with disagreement, but I think you may have stated this backwards. "Normally" is at rest and not energized.
https://www.galco.com/comp/prod/relay.htm
If we're both referring to the diagram on page 3, that's normally open. If we're talking about a different diagram I'll have to go back and look.
If the brown wire is neither grounded or shorted to power, it's actually a normally closed relay -- which is good because then 565 doesn't need to do anything. It could also be a NO relay that's just stuck in the closed position. Either way, if power goes through it to the clutch, that's just like having no relay and if we all pretend it isn't there, the system will function like an "old" car.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Cut the brown wire out of the 3 prong plug and ground it to the fan motor ground as shown in TURNA post.
Not sure why you want to keep a relay that does nothing but do what you want to do and be done with it

I would rather not keep the relay and the useless plug but I have half of you guys saying cut it out and the other half saying why remove a relay, once I remove it I am not reinstalling it so I just want to hear all sides before making a final decision.
But at this point it seems that it functions normally by eliminating it so I will probably go this route.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
After looking at 6 pages of this just getting home from an almost 12 hour day, I think I'm glad I pulled all the old factory stuff out while it was still functioning & replaced it all with a vintage air setup
I agree after this I am working on installing my trunk mount Vintage Air unit in the Monte and won't have to worry about working around any factory wiring to do it.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor