How to completely change transmission fluid on a th350

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romaniac

Apprentice
Jun 14, 2013
This auto th350 has over 150k on it, so Im planning to change the filter and ATF in the entire system. I've heard it's necessary to do this on automatic transmissions at least every 150k. How do I do come about doing this properly? Thanks everyone

Romaniac

Apprentice
Jun 14, 2013
Romaniac said:
This auto th350 has over 150k on it, so Im planning to change the filter and ATF in the entire system. I've heard it's necessary to do this on automatic transmissions at least every 150k. How do I do come about doing this properly? Thanks everyone

sheeet nobody? damn.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If you can find a local place that has a trans fluid exchange machine (don't know the exact name) they plumb it into your trans line and they fill the machine with new fluid and you start your car and your trans forces all the old fluid out and pushes the new fluid in.
I had it done on my Lincoln about 10 years ago and it worked great and the trans still works perfectly since it also puts new fluid in the convertor, cooler, etc. instead of just draining the trans.
It's been awhile but I believe they changed the filter first and filled with new fluid before hooking it up to the machine.

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
My at home method: Drop the pan & change the trans filter & full it with new fluid. Then disconnect the incoming trans cooler line. You can then start the car & watch the fluid come out of the trans cooler line....keep letting the fluid come out & add new fluid until the fluid coming out looks as good as the new you're pouring in. Lastly, you can disconnect the cooler lines & spray carb cleaner threw them until clean. Lastly, blow the lines out with a blow nozzle & check fluid level.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
565bbchevy said:
If you can find a local place that has a trans fluid exchange machine (don't know the exact name) they plumb it into your trans line and they fill the machine with new fluid and you start your car and your trans forces all the old fluid out and pushes the new fluid in.
I had it done on my Lincoln about 10 years ago and it worked great and the trans still works perfectly since it also puts new fluid in the convertor, cooler, etc. instead of just draining the trans.
It's been awhile but I believe they changed the filter first and filled with new fluid before hooking it up to the machine.
At the dealership we call that a wallet flush. :wink:( because that's all it's good for, removing cash from your wallet. )

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
tc1959 said:
565bbchevy said:
At the dealership we call that a wallet flush. :wink:( because that's all it's good for, removing cash from your wallet. )

Grant it, like I said it was about 10 years ago and I had it done at a local oil change place and I had a coupon for the filter, gasket and fluid change for around $70
And I figured it was worth it not having to jack up my Lincoln and drop a trans pan that doesn't have a drain plug, plus it frees up quality time that I can spend working
on a Gbody. :lol:

Romaniac

Apprentice
Jun 14, 2013
Sweet, thanks everyone. The car aint in running condition, but when It is that sure sounds like the way to do it yourself!
How do I know which one is the incoming trans cooler line?

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
Romaniac said:
Sweet, thanks everyone. The car aint in running condition, but when It is that sure sounds like the way to do it yourself!
How do I know which one is the incoming trans cooler line?[ you can generally tell buy how they route to the trans, but since you're gonna be cleaning out both lines & they'll both be unhooked anyways, you'll know which one it is when you start the car.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
We just use one of these. Pop the dipstick tube out and pump.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 1,494

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
IIRC, the bottom line at the radiator flows from the trans and the top flows back to the the trans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor