How to free a stuck piston ring

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Hopefully thy didn’t align the rings improperly.
The compression rings will rotate on the piston as its running. Even if you line the gaps up together (still not what you should do) they'll move around at different rates each. I heard of that being tested and been found that they would do 1 rotation per minute at 1000 rpm. Hopefully they're just stuck in the ring land and a soak will free them up.

Hutch

Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Kleenflo Combustion Chamber Cleaner. I have gained as much as 30 psi. All the other stuff did nothing. You pull the plug and fill the cylinder and let sit overnight at least, longer if possible. Crank a couple of times and put the plug back in and run. Hopefully you can find it there.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Hmh. Kleenflo, y'say, Combustion Chamber Cleaner, y'say. I might have to ask my local supplier about the stuff, maybe feed a pint or two to my lawn mower. Snigger, snigger, the bugs are on strike in my back yard for better working conditions.

Nick

Reactions: 1 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I used straight ATF in thru the plug hole to the top then replaced plug and let it sit for a week. Did all 6 cyl. It worked on a 170 Ford six that had been siting for years and we couldn't turn it at all.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I vote the ATF/acetone mix as It worked for me. Honestly if you give it enough time any old oil will work. But ATF is the champeen at loosening rusty stuff.

Reactions: 1 users

WanaBa442

G-Body Guru
Aug 5, 2017
New England
I vote the ATF/acetone mix as It worked for me. Honestly if you give it enough time any old oil will work. But ATF is the champeen at loosening rusty stuff.
ATF/Acetone @ 50/50 mix is the go to for loosening up stuck snowmobile engines for years.
Or Corvair engines too for that matter.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Alright, plow buggy has a dead hole. #1 only shows 50psi. 95-105 for the rest. Supposedly had rings done prior to me buying it, had not been started. I have no idea how long it sat with brand new rings not running. I'm guessing stuck ring, gonna try any tricks I can before pulling it apart. It can't be THAT stuck. Of course it could be a cylinder wall issue, but let's hope it's not.

My plan was to fill the cylinder (at bdc) with a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone tomorrow, and leave it for 2 weeks (because I fly to work for 2 weeks Wednesday morning.) Then assess it when I get back.

What do you think? Any other ideas? I'm all ears.
Be advised that stuck rings on a cylinder aren't why this isn't running. A V8 will start on 3 cylinders.

Why doesn't it run/start?

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
Be advised that stuck rings on a cylinder aren't why this isn't running. A V8 will start on 3 cylinders.

Why doesn't it run/start?

You're absolutely right, except this is a 4 cylinder, but it should still run on 3. I just halted all work once I discovered this. I have been chasing a plethora of issues as to why it wont start. I love taking on other peoples half-finished projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor