How To Install Big Wheels with Stock Ride Height?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCMLXXXVII

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2016
Decatur, GA
It boggles my mind to know that people have been installing big wheels on G-bodies since the late 90s and there are no in-depth guides or tutorials on how to install said wheels on a car. I have a 1985 Cutlass and I want to put some 22 inch wheels on it, but I don't want the car to look like it has lifted suspension.

Check out this video!

In this video you'll see a Buick Grand National with 22" wheels and an Oldsmobile Cutlass with 24" wheels and both cars are squatting on their wheels like no suspension modifications were made. This is EXACTLY what I want my Cutlass to look like with 22" wheels.

If you know how to achieve this effect when installing big wheels on a G-body, please share your tips and tricks. Please be concise and use as much detail as possible. Pictures would be great and a video tutorial would be awesome. I WILL find out how to do this and if no one supplies this tread with a video tutorial, then I will shoot one myself and post it up for my fellow country big wheel riders!

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I don't know anything about putting big wheels like that on a Gbody but it looks like on the Cutlass they cut the lower front fender for clearance.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the trick is don't drive them, once you turn the front wheels they will tear the inner fender apart and probably jam on the firewall

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
The trick is to buy wheels with the correct backspacing, width, and bolt pattern for your car. I have two sets of staggered 22s for my G-bodies. Tire size is an important factor as well; nothing higher than a 35 series tire will work.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA

Reactions: 1 user

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
so what are the wheel specs Qdub24? I briefly tossing the idea of doing tucked 22's on my Cutty

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
It's a lot of experimentation. But if you don't start with a suitable offset and tire size you will never get it. No car is meant to have the wheelwells hacked just to fit big wheels. Down here we put new shocks/springs, and maybe some knuckle boosters if added clearance is needed. Anything larger than a "proper" fitting 24 will require some trimming to the fenders, or stupid lift. V6 gbodies are more prone to rubbing and fitment issues than v8s. Even staggered 22's in the rear can require the frame to be notched.

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
There's nothing wrong with larger than stock wheels. The weight and tire height are surprisingly not that much different, as long as you're not trying to jam 24x12 truck wheels and tires in there. Just don't jeopardize the integrity of your vehicle.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
so what are the wheel specs Qdub24? I briefly tossing the idea of doing tucked 22's on my Cutty
Front: 22×9; 245/30/22
Rear: 22×11; 295/25/22
Backspacing should be no more than 5"

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor