How To Swap Buick V6 3.8 to SBC 350

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
I won't argue that it is very possible.

Ram30

n00b
Oct 3, 2014
I have a question what if I use the sbc to bop trans adapter will I have to relocate the motor mounts and also will the torque converter and fly wheel bolt up

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
Ram30 said:
I have a question what if I use the sbc to bop trans adapter will I have to relocate the motor mounts and also will the torque converter and fly wheel bolt up
The torque converter should bolt up just fine if you have a dual bolt pattern flexplate or the correct bolt pattern flexplate. The original torque converter should be the small bolt pattern. The engine mounts will bolt up just fine with the spacer, it's at the transmission mount that the spacers thickness will be added. That too will be fine as the crossmember hole for the transmission mount is slotted.

DannyBoy515

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 2, 2013
Hey guys - just something to keep in the back of your head for the guys doing their first swap. If you go to an overdrive trans - 700 or 200 - you either have to make a provision for the lock up on the converter, or go to a non lock up converter. I have had a few g body's but always chevy - couple montes and a couple malibus. Just got my first cutlass yesterday, and glad the forum is here for those BOP related questions. Body and interior are solid, but drivetrain is junk. 350 rocket thats seen better days. Guy I got it from says there was a 700r put in it recently - but I dont see an adapter plate anywhere and he said he didnt change crossmember and shop told him it went right in, so my guess is he got robbed and they told him they put in a 700 and put something else in. He wasnt too bright to begin with. But either way I am going to go with a sbc and an overdrive trans - just have to go one way or the other with the lock up or you will end up with issues and not know where they are coming from, or end up cooking a trans. Theres a couple different options once you figure out which way you want to go with it.

Reactions: 1 user

mudpaws

Apprentice
Oct 26, 2010
Long Island, NY
My 2 cents to this thread: please add more, anyone with experience here:
Regarding dual exhaust routing, I have a (cheaply obtained) factory TH200M crossmember modified for the duals.

Problem I ran into is: Upon mounting, the extension pipes won't clear it. I currently have 1/4" steel plates in place between member and frame.

I'm thinking I need to put those original rubber rectangular blocks back in place there for more clearance. OR another set of steel plates stacked.

Thoughts anyone?

mudpaws

Apprentice
Oct 26, 2010
Long Island, NY
My 2 cents to this thread: please add more, anyone with experience here: 1980 Malibu

Regarding dual exhaust routing (from headers/collectors):

I have a (cheaply obtained) factory TH200M crossmember modified for the duals.

Problem I ran into is: Upon mounting, the extension pipes won't clear it. I currently have 1/4" steel plates in place between member and frame.

I'm thinking I need to put those original rubber rectangular blocks back in place there for more clearance. OR another set of steel plates stacked.

Thoughts anyone?

• Friendly

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Patrick b: if it was a Chevy 3.3 or 3.8 liter, the bellhousing, trans and linkage will bolt on to a SBC or BBC just the same, but it will only fit a 10.5" flywheel (153 teeth). But, if you locate an 80s Camaro or Firebird, the flywheel and clutch are the same up to 85; an 86 or later SBC will have a 1-pc rear main, which uses a different flywheel, but the same 10.5" clutch. If you go further and use the T-5 from the F-body, you will need to modify the trans crossmember to fit the offset trans mount GM used in the F-bodies. Go here for more data: http://www.garage-scene.com/

If it was a Buick 3.8 liter, that bellhousing is worth some coin! The Buick G-body bellhousing fits an 11" clutch and can work with any Buick, Olds, Pontiac, or Cadillac. The trick, of course, is finding a flywheel for any of those motors...

Patrick b

n00b
May 19, 2015
Patrick b: if it was a Chevy 3.3 or 3.8 liter, the bellhousing, trans and linkage will bolt on to a SBC or BBC just the same, but it will only fit a 10.5" flywheel (153 teeth). But, if you locate an 80s Camaro or Firebird, the flywheel and clutch are the same up to 85; an 86 or later SBC will have a 1-pc rear main, which uses a different flywheel, but the same 10.5" clutch. If you go further and use the T-5 from the F-body, you will need to modify the trans crossmember to fit the offset trans mount GM used in the F-bodies. Go here for more data: http://www.garage-scene.com/

If it was a Buick 3.8 liter, that bellhousing is worth some coin! The Buick G-body bellhousing fits an 11" clutch and can work with any Buick, Olds, Pontiac, or Cadillac. The trick, of course, is finding a flywheel for any of those motors...
it is a chevy for my elco also am looking for headers that will work with the clutch assembly any ideas

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I picked up a set of Summit (made by Patriot, I think) for the G-body because their site promises they fit mechanical clutch linkage - have not had a chance to bolt hem in yet. The Jeg's headers definitely do not fit.

Last edited:
  • Creative

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor