How to swap different types of rears into G-bodies

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
I might have $750 in the 8.8 in my car. New discs, brackets, calipers, double adjustable uppers, spherical upper joints, adjustable lowers, new cover. It's from a '95 Mustang GT. I left the stock gears and axles in it and just wait for it to blow up. Hasn't yet.

Apr 9, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
I have about the same in my reared as TurboLq4. I also have moser axles with the Chevrolet 5 on 4.75 lug pattern, an adapted disc setup from a 2000 blazer, posi, 3.73 gears, and adjustable arms top and bottom. I don't care about drag times. I prefer to go fast in crooked lines. that being said, the thread is titled "How to swap different types of rears into G-bodies" not "what is the best drag racing rearend money can buy?" The ford 9" is the best rearend, and the best way to get one in is to have it custom setup to be a direct bolt-in swap to a GBody. I don't think anyone would dispute that. If you have one, congratulations on making some better life decisions than I have, but I have a lot more time than money. So, now that's out of the way. . . The 9" is cost prohibitive, 12 bolts are as rare as unicorns and almost the cost of a 9", the 8.8 has been covered. . . what else is there and how is it done?

Reactions: 1 user

GroceryGetter83

LS Mafia
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2018
Tampa, Florida
I have about the same in my reared as TurboLq4. I also have moser axles with the Chevrolet 5 on 4.75 lug pattern, an adapted disc setup from a 2000 blazer, posi, 3.73 gears, and adjustable arms top and bottom. I don't care about drag times. I prefer to go fast in crooked lines. that being said, the thread is titled "How to swap different types of rears into G-bodies" not "what is the best drag racing rearend money can buy?" The ford 9" is the best rearend, and the best way to get one in is to have it custom setup to be a direct bolt-in swap to a GBody. I don't think anyone would dispute that. If you have one, congratulations on making some better life decisions than I have, but I have a lot more time than money. So, now that's out of the way. . . The 9" is cost prohibitive, 12 bolts are as rare as unicorns and almost the cost of a 9", the 8.8 has been covered. . . what else is there and how is it done?

Did you narrow the 8.8" rear end?

Rob-Legacy1

Apprentice
Sep 11, 2016
New Braunfels Tx
The Hot Rod article came up with the 2200 final tally. As much as you may wish to have a party about life choices, this was not supposed to be a rich against poor discussion. The fact is I didn't make it all about money I was simply showing a viable affordable option for a G body differential. At this point I wish I would have just stayed out of it, next time I will keep my opinions to myself . I hope that y'all Have A great day . :giggle::giggle:

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Great info !! Everyone has their reasons for what they swap in, what ever works for you - go with it. I prefer buying the 9 in bolt in w/ axle package. Get the splines you want and order with the ends you want and bolt it in (about $700.00). The $$ come (with any rear) with what you want in that rear end. 9 in stuff is relatively cheap

favorite this post Ford 9" - $75 (Harrison Twp) hide this posting unhide
< image 1 of 3 >
01111_eTang0AAN9B_600x450.jpg

00909_dyDbuYDIYrF_600x450.jpg

00909_eKk8aLbsLZf_600x450.jpg

3022.png
3023.png
3022.png
3022.png
3023.png
3023.png
marker-shadow.png
marker-icon.png
© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
38081 Hamon Street
(google map)
condition: good
make / manufacturer: Ford
more ads by this user
QR Code Link to This Post

Selling extra parts

Have 1 Ford 9'' (not posi)
3.0 gear 31 spline
Casting C7AWE ring gear 4210
Has nice looking gears

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
The Hot Rod article came up with the 2200 final tally. As much as you may wish to have a party about life choices, this was not supposed to be a rich against poor discussion. The fact is I didn't make it all about money I was simply showing a viable affordable option for a G body differential. At this point I wish I would have just stayed out of it, next time I will keep my opinions to myself . I hope that y'all Have A great day . :giggle::giggle:

Rob - you threw your opinions out there and this is what the forum is about. There is no wrong or right here just people expressing their views and or results on a subject. Don't take offence!

Rob-Legacy1

Apprentice
Sep 11, 2016
New Braunfels Tx
I'm not offended it seems like some are defensive about their choice . I have no issue with anyone's decision to use an 8.8 it is a good diff. I was just offering an alternative for those with out the equipment or time to fabricate the necessary components for the 8.8 or other non direct bolt in diffs. :friday:

Apr 9, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
I'm not offended it seems like some are defensive about their choice . I have no issue with anyone's decision to use an 8.8 it is a good diff. I was just offering an alternative for those with out the equipment or time to fabricate the necessary components for the 8.8 or other non direct bolt in diffs. :friday:

I would have gone with a 9" if I could have. I did an 8.8 but would have loved the extra peace of mind a 9" gives. I guess the difference is, I already spent all my money on tools and didn't have any left for a sweet reared. There are folks who haven't wasted all their money on tools they never use like I have, and would rather put it into their car where it belongs. That's what I meant by life choices Rob-legacy-1. Not a rich vs poor argument, just priorities. I see you're from New Braunfels, so I have to assume you're a good dude who was trying to give some good information for the benefit of everyone else. I wasn't trying to dog you on any of that, I was simply trying to redirect the conversation so some others could chime in with alternative rear ends.

I am curious whether anyone has done an IRS rearend?

Apr 9, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor