How to swap different types of rears into G-bodies

Rob-Legacy1

Apprentice
Sep 11, 2016
New Braunfels Tx
Lincoln Mark 8 complete into My 64 d100 I made it a bolt in so i could remove it as a complete unit and keep my stock bed floor . It is fun to watch people trying to figure out how it lays rocker with no step notch.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users
Apr 9, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
theoretically, could it be done in a Gbody without re-inventing the wheel?

Rob-Legacy1

Apprentice
Sep 11, 2016
New Braunfels Tx
Here's a pic
20180406_110137.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

BoostedJROD

Apprentice
Jan 9, 2019
Good info in here..

I got lucky and mine had a GN 8.5 in it when I bought the car. I plan on putting the strange spool and 33 spline axles in it when the time comes....which is probably going to be sooner than later...tho that's my situation and fits what I use the car for...

I can hower vouch for the strength of an 8.8... Close friend has a 98 jimmy with a 8.8. Aftermarket 31 spline axles w/ 5/8 studs on GM bolt pattern. Factory ford gears, mini spool. Skipped the c-clip Eliminators b/c he's running disk brakes, braced , aluminum cover and welded tubes... makes just over 1000hp to the tire (billet s480 and a 6.0ls) and weighs 4100lbs...has been low 9s leaving on the TBrake.... 8.8 will take a beating for sure

Reactions: 2 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I think the easiest was to start on a IRS design for our cars may have to start using the control arm mount points then work on the engineering from there.

Apr 9, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
I think the easiest was to start on a IRS design for our cars may have to start using the control arm mount points then work on the engineering from there.
Is there anything that was designed that way by chevy. Like an IRS afterthought that could more-or-less bolt in on the GBody? like a corvette reared or a cobra rearend?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
That's exactly what Ford did on the 99-04 Cobras. The rear sub frame bolts to the control arm attachment points on the body.
My buddy has made a few dollars snatching up Cobra IRS units and planting them in Fox bodies. Naturally, my twisted brain had the same thought of trying to stuff one under the Bonneville. The $1000 price tag scared me straight.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
My buddy has made a few dollars snatching up Cobra IRS units and planting them in Fox bodies. Naturally, my twisted brain had the same thought of trying to stuff one under the Bonneville. The $1000 price tag scared me straight.
I worked for 4 years for a local shop that specialized in Mustangs and other super charged cars. I pulled many Cobra IRS set ups out after guys repeatedly blew them up. They are very fragile for drag racing; even after adding all the braces and other foo foo. Those cars are notorious for breaking axle shafts and the aluminum differential housing; most common was breaking the rear cover off the mount. You can easily spend $1500 in upgrades and it still won't be as strong as the solid axle 8.8 with 31 spline axles and a Ford Trac Lock.
So yeah, I never saw why guys made a big deal over them. Plus they are a hell of a lot heavier than the solid axle set up.

Reactions: 1 user

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
I worked for 4 years for a local shop that specialized in Mustangs and other super charged cars. I pulled many Cobra IRS set ups out after guys repeatedly blew them up. They are very fragile for drag racing; even after adding all the braces and other foo foo. Those cars are notorious for breaking axle shafts and the aluminum differential housing; most common was breaking the rear cover off the mount. You can easily spend $1500 in upgrades and it still won't be as strong as the solid axle 8.8 with 31 spline axles and a Ford Trac Lock.
So yeah, I never saw why guys made a big deal over them. Plus they are a hell of a lot heavier than the solid axle set up.
Not great for drag. Better at pretty much everything else.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor