how your battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlat

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2013
hello people: As with everything prices of things have gone nuts. I needed a bat. and I think the price went up like $50 from when I got one last. Kinda blows.
IBBY

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The price you just paid will likely be a bargain by the end of the year. Grab your shorts. This is going to take YEARS to normalize, if it ever does. It got blown up in the late 70s, and took nearly a decade to see interest rates for home and car loans and such to drop to something sustainable in most places. Of course, I also whined a bit because banks started dropping interest rates on 12-month CDs to <9% as well.

On the flip side, I literally refinanced a car loan in the mid-80s because the rate drop about 1/2 way through the loan and saved HUNDREDS of dollars in interest charges. IIRC, the interest in a 4 year loan was going to be north of $2K over the course of the loan, which I believe was something around 14K originally. So yeah, you ain't see nothing yet. This time it seems it's going to be worse. I'm still waiting for the word to come down on when they start gas rationing again. Odd/Even plate days. Lines. Fights at the gas pumps. Oh, what a summer we will have.

Only this time around, it's more of a global market than it was in 1979. there's seemingly nobody in an economic advisor role right now that actually knows what to do, so they'll likely fumble this up. It's like taking your race car to Walmart for a tune-up. Yeah, they're technically mechanics, but they're likely a tad short on skills to get it done. The Fed should have been in front of this last year, but they buried their head in the sand. To fight inflation, they need to raise the prime interest rate to a hair above inflation rate to have any decent effect. We really need to slow down demand or it's just going to get worse. Supply chain shortages and labor shortages (which translates to lazy, working-age f****s not wanting to get a job- not every company has a "snowflake preservation zone", aka safespace) isn't helping. If any of that gets fixed, that will provide some relief, but Recession is coming and I truly believe stagflation is going to hit us pretty hard. Be prepared.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
The price you just paid will likely be a bargain by the end of the year. Grab your shorts. This is going to take YEARS to normalize, if it ever does. It got blown up in the late 70s, and took nearly a decade to see interest rates for home and car loans and such to drop to something sustainable in most places. Of course, I also whined a bit because banks started dropping interest rates on 12-month CDs to <9% as well.

On the flip side, I literally refinanced a car loan in the mid-80s because the rate drop about 1/2 way through the loan and saved HUNDREDS of dollars in interest charges. IIRC, the interest in a 4 year loan was going to be north of $2K over the course of the loan, which I believe was something around 14K originally. So yeah, you ain't see nothing yet. This time it seems it's going to be worse. I'm still waiting for the word to come down on when they start gas rationing again. Odd/Even plate days. Lines. Fights at the gas pumps. Oh, what a summer we will have.

Only this time around, it's more of a global market than it was in 1979. there's seemingly nobody in an economic advisor role right now that actually knows what to do, so they'll likely fumble this up. It's like taking your race car to Walmart for a tune-up. Yeah, they're technically mechanics, but they're likely a tad short on skills to get it done. The Fed should have been in front of this last year, but they buried their head in the sand. To fight inflation, they need to raise the prime interest rate to a hair above inflation rate to have any decent effect. We really need to slow down demand or it's just going to get worse. Supply chain shortages and labor shortages (which translates to lazy, working-age f****s not wanting to get a job- not every company has a "snowflake preservation zone", aka safespace) isn't helping. If any of that gets fixed, that will provide some relief, but Recession is coming and I truly believe stagflation is going to hit us pretty hard. Be prepared.
I used to be getting called out as a pessimist. Now more people are coming around to my view.

Then again, we went into austerity mode back when everyone else was (is?) still in the cheap money lasts forever mindset.

My biggest dilemma is whether to take cash out up front to hold to invest, or, stick in a no-liabilities mindset. Advantages to both. Problem is, you're damned if you do or don't. Only can grab $20k/yr in ibonds which is one of the only ways to guarantee to stay above inflation at this point. And until you get those rates up, deposit yields and conservative investments are losing money via purchasing power each month, if not losing principle.

So far I've resisted making moves, not playing their game. It's the easiest way to win right now.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I used to be getting called out as a pessimist. Now more people are coming around to my view.
I'm not coming around to anyone else's views. I've always leaned to doing somewhat financially responsible things. Obviously not all things or I'd be living in a mansion in the Caribbean somewhere not giving a flip about anything but having someone bring me booze or laying on my private beach smoking something illegal that wasn't good for me.

And I'm not being pessimistic, just simply stating what I believe is happening and likely is going to happen next. This day was coming, but most people didn't want to believe it. Honestly, I'm surprised it took this long. Living through the last inflationary period with high interest rates did suck donkey balls, but I still got my new G-bodies and felt lucky to do so. There's still some time to right the ship, or at least let it graze off the iceberg instead of plowing straight into it, but right now, I have very little faith the former's going to happen. Just the facts as I see it.

Reactions: 1 user

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
hello people: As with everything prices of things have gone nuts. I needed a bat. and I think the price went up like $50 from when I got one last. Kinda blows.
IBBY
I have been looking at replacing the battery in Hurst its 15 years old still holds a charge and amps are fine but dont want take chance. The prices have gone up just like anything else.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor