how's this sound 7.5" drag rear-$300?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
$300 is too much for a 7.5" that needs work! PERIOD

If this read-end needed nothing then I would say good deal, but in my opinion that is a little spendy for a 7.5" rear-end that may need a ring and pinion.

Just my 2 cents

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I agree with pontiacgp. The parts in it alone are worth it.

I think 1000, even 600, is too much for an 8.5 rear end that is itself just as old as any 7.5 rear end. I spent 200$ for my complete rear end from the 86' monte ss off a guy at a swap meet. He wanted to put in his 59' el camino but of course he found out that wouldn't work. That does not include the cost of the new ring and pinion later along with two inspections of the rear end to make sure she was good to go. If people actually spent the time to do things right, maybe the 7.5 would have a better reputation. Only reason it has a bad one is because every g body came with the damn things so of course there is going to be more of those breaking than say the limited number of 8.5 rear ends.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
Have they removed everything since it broke at the track? If one of the ring gear's teeth came off and worked it's way around the carrier housing before being caught by the magnet you can have more issues than just a ring and pinion swap. IMO, if you want to get it just to sell the stuff on there then it's an alright deal. If you are wanting to put this in your car to race or something I'd say no. Especially with 4.56 gear and a spool.

Like said countless times before, bolt in housing (Ford 9", 12-bolt) or an 8.5"

The reason that the 7.5" gets such a bad rap is because they built so many of them that quantity rapidly outweights the quality. Some last forever and some last 5 minutes. It's all in the modifications. You can make a 7.5" last into the 10's if you use the right combination. You could probably do it with less than $350 in parts.

Real question is, what do you want to accomplish by getting a new rear end?

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
If this thing can hold up to wrinkle wall slicks,trak abuse and 520 hp then i sure as hell say its worth it...And hey,it'll be stronger than my original 7.5 and it'll have a posi and way better gears!
79loserbluebu said:
Have they removed everything since it broke at the track? If one of the ring gear's teeth came off and worked it's way around the carrier housing before being caught by the magnet you can have more issues than just a ring and pinion swap. IMO, if you want to get it just to sell the stuff on there then it's an alright deal. If you are wanting to put this in your car to race or something I'd say no. Especially with 4.56 gear and a spool.

Like said countless times before, bolt in housing (Ford 9", 12-bolt) or an 8.5"

The reason that the 7.5" gets such a bad rap is because they built so many of them that quantity rapidly outweights the quality. Some last forever and some last 5 minutes. It's all in the modifications. You can make a 7.5" last into the 10's if you use the right combination. You could probably do it with less than $350 in parts.

Real question is, what do you want to accomplish by getting a new rear end?

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
If it's betther then what you have now then go ahead...300.00 isn't that much even if you blow it up.However, by the time you put gears in it---if you have them installed, then you got at least another 400.00 in it....Now you got 700.00.... I say look for an 8.5 rear, 12 bolt ortry to score a 9" JMO

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Minion1186 said:
If this thing can hold up to wrinkle wall slicks,trak abuse and 520 hp then i sure as hell say its worth it...And hey,it'll be stronger than my original 7.5 and it'll have a posi and way better gears

But it's not a posi and you will hate those gears with your motor. You shouldn't need that high of a gear with the power your supposed to have. You have lots of torque, use it. I'm not gonna venture a guess of what gear is best for you but i'm willing to bet it will be somewhere in the mid 3.xx's. If you reuse the 4.56's(which sounds like they aren't any good anyway) you will blow right through your power band.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
true,but he has new 4.56 gears in box but they need to be installed,and yes 4.56 isnt the best for my power band but hes going to throw those in for free so i offered to take them if i buy the rear.I have to find out what spline axles it has then i'll buy 3.73 gears for it.It has a mini spool,locking both wheels for better traction...I can consider that posi.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Ya but a posi won't try to rip the splined end off the axles while turning corners on the street.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I wouldn't bother buying . Not because it's a 7.5 (and most people here know how I feel about wasting money on those lol). The gears may be a bit much. But I had a buddy years ago who was running 4.56s in his MC. As long as you aren't planning any highway trips it's OK.

But the mini spool. If you run this on the street you will most likely be spending a lot on axles, unless you run skinny tires and enjoy the sound of chirping tires every time you go around a corner. And then there's the good chance you will write your car off the first time you do a curve faster than 20 MPH.

I just think you will regret buying if if you use it on the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor