Hunting 2020

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Texas rifle doesn't start until Nov. 6, nothing to do but stare at pics twice a day. Soon....
Well would you look at that, I'll be in Denton starting November 5th for a couple of days... have to see if I can take a shot at one on opening day

Reactions: 1 user

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Put up my tree stand today... had to set up on state land. Put two bolts into a target at 25 yards - crossbow's still dialed-in from years ago. Peace in a tree. Looooong archery season goes to Jan, 31. Tons of deer here.

Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Put up my tree stand today... had to set up on state land. Put two bolts into a target at 25 yards - crossbow's still dialed-in from years ago. Peace in a tree. Looooong archery season goes to Jan, 31. Tons of deer here.
Do they require doctors disability cert to use a crossbow up there?

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Do they require doctors disability cert to use a crossbow up there?
I'm just looking for meat. I do whatever is easiest, and butcher it myself. Crossbow is point-and-click.

In the wildly unlikely scenario where that was a serious question about requiring a doctor's note, no. A crossbow is a bow here.

Pretty sure you're not physically fit enough to get traction teasing me...

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
In NY you can only use a crossbow during bow season with a doctor's note.... he wasn't baiting you. Calm down.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
In NY you can only use a crossbow during bow season with a doctor's note.... he wasn't baiting you. Calm down.
As it is/was other places I've lived as well. I'm generally curious about how consistent things are different places these days.

I'm just looking for meat. I do whatever is easiest, and butcher it myself. Crossbow is point-and-click.
On the other hand, that sounds questionable, with a need for carcasses being checked at game stations and inspected... Fish and game laws exist for reasons beyond population management, including public health.
Pretty sure you're not physically fit enough to get traction teasing me...
Not too sure what that is supposed to mean. About 20 years ago there used to be a stereotype/joke subset about NJ and steroid usage. Given that irrational jump towards some sort of violence/threat implication, way to live up to it

Last edited:

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Always a joke at our lease with crossbows vs bows. Texas considers a crossbow a bow.
I've always had a mixed mind about them.

On one hand I always understood the disabled/medical accommodations angle, I mean, you wouldn't want to deprive an arthritic/elderly/disabled person of the activity just because they couldn't handle the mechanics/work of the draw, or hold the the strain while aiming - even with the drop-off on a compound unit. So leave that aside.

Beyond that, I dunno... I guess it really just depends on what someone has the skill to use. Better take the easy way out with a crossbow and get a clean humane kill, and one you can recover, than try to use a regular bow you can't handle thats beyond your talent level and wound lots of animals that suffer and you lose tracking.

As far as my preference, I was always a single cam compound, 80lb draw weight before messing up the neck/shoulder when I pretty much gave it up. Would typically practice to 50-60 yd range although I'd only get most within 4" grouping with an occasional straggler beyond that in the past... days which are gone now. First "real" bow after the kiddie learning ones was a plain jane recurve 55# draw, after a couple years with that moved into compound.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Pa can use crossbows during archery now. Although years back it wasn't that way.

Jakefromstatefarm

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2014
Kansas a cross bow, compound, recurve, or whatever else launches a bolt with a string is considered a bow a legal to use.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor