hydro-boost suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Hm, I'll have to do some asking to find out how my dad put this thing together then. Car still has the hydroboost setup from the diesel in it, but has the manual trans pedals..... I didn't realize there was a difference (but it makes sense now that I think about it....) I've never really noticed anything wonky about it. Other than it stops NOW, unless the engine quits, then it doesn't..... *shrug*

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
To be honest my car was originally a diesel automatic and has three pedals hanging in it that I didn't put there so mine may not be right but I'm almost certain I've read the pedals are different. Maybe I'm wrong. I can relate an anecdote. On my brother's 78 Z28 we swapped in the factory rear disc setup from a 79 Firebird and the pedal is different from the drum brake pedal. The difference being the distance from the pedal pivot to the push rod. His car was an automatic and we converted it to a 6-speed. His brake pedal was a reproduction and was a drum brake piece. We found a thread that had a side by side comparison of drum vs. disc pedals. We re-drilled the repro pedal to move the push rod pivot location to match the disc brake pedal and the pedal feel drastically improved.

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
  • Informative

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The difference in the pedals is the distance from the pedal pivot to the location where the rod attaches to the pedal.

when I put my 5 speed in I modified the F body clutch pedal and adjusted the position of the pin so it's easy enough to do the same with the brake pedal. For those concerned about the leverage on the brake pedal even if you go manual you leg has pleanty of poweer

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I used a pump and pedal from an early 80s El Camino. The pedal is different but not by much. All in all it was a very easy swap and a much needed one since I have damn near NO vacuum with the big block.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I used a pump and pedal from an early 80s El Camino. The pedal is different but not by much. All in all it was a very easy swap and a much needed one since I have damn near NO vacuum with the big block.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Gentlemen, thank you for all your input...again, I appreciate your feedback.

I guess it would be alright to install the setup without the additional pulleys. I understand that it's a precautionary measure to use the extra pulleys and belt in the event that the power steering belt breaks, you have a backup so you don't lose your brakes...and your power steering.
I'd like to do it as simply, yet effectively, as possible.

Would anyone actually have the two different pedals loose, and be able to take a pic showing the difference between the two?.

Last edited:

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I meant to ask you what car you got your setup from. Thanks for mentioning that.
I assume the El Camino you got your hydroboost from was a diesel car..?

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I meant to ask you what car you got your setup from. Thanks for mentioning that.
I assume the El Camino you got your hydroboost from was a diesel car..?
Actually I believe it came from a v6 car not a diesel.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I know everyone seems to want to go with the Hydroboost but diesels for many years have just been running with just an auxiliary pulley driven vacuum pump and that is what I been running for 15 years now and mine I bought used for $75 from a junkyard off a 95' F350 and have been using it ever since only having to make a bracket to mount it.
It pulls 28 lbs of vacuum and self regulates itself and does not need a vacuum source or any modifications to any part of the car other than running a new hose from the pump to your booster. It would most likely cost less than $125 for this mod depending if you buy a new or junkyard unit.
Sitting in traffic or multiple quick stops have no effect on this and people are always surprised at how well my car stops considering how fast it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor