hydro-boost suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Guys,
I know this topic had been brought up in past years, however, I'd like to hear your suggestions regarding what hydro-boost units to consider using.
I'm seriously considering converting to hydro-boost.

Pontiacgp (Steve) had suggested using a hydro-boost unit out of an Astro/ Safari van. From what I've also read, the brake pedal would need to be changed out and the booster rod may have to be shortened and re-threaded to accommodate the brake pedal.
Another choice would be the Powermaster unit out of a turbo Buick. I am considering used parts. I know you can purchase new kits, but that's out of my price realm.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
There's no problem, per se. I just thought that I'd like to convert to hydro-boost and eliminate the vacuum brake booster for a firmer pedal feel. Not that I'm running a high lift cam and that my vacuum level is too low...nothing like that.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Jack, there is quite a few threads about the astro/safari hydro boosts being used in A bodies and F bodies online. I am bringing my Jeep in to change the rear seal ( I don't have the time) and the mechanic is very familiar with the hydro boost, he said the hydro boost works great but when you are heavy on the brakes you can feel it slightly in the steering but nothing to make you concerned. Apparently there are some larger GM SUVs that use the hyrdro boost as well

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thank you Steve,
The last thread that you posted about using the Astro/ Safari hydro-boost unit, kind of peeked my interest. I did do some reading about it online. I'm really considering it.

So, you're having your friend do the install on yours? You'll have to let me know how it goes.
From what I've read, I may also need the brake pedal from a turbo Buick...something about the booster rod pin being in a different position than the vacuum booster rod. It probably can be re-drilled. I was thinking when I get to the junkyard, I'll remove all the hoses connected to it as well.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The G-Body unit is readily available remanufactured from folks like Rock Auto. What you will need is the hydroboost pedal. I've read that the G-Body unit is a little antiquated but I really liked the pedal feel in my car (engine has been out for more than a year). My car started out as a diesel and I'm staying with the hydroboost. I have a fresh remanufactured unit ready to go in.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Thank you Steve,
The last thread that you posted about using the Astro/ Safari hydro-boost unit, kind of peeked my interest. I did do some reading about it online. I'm really considering it.

So, you're having your friend do the install on yours? You'll have to let me know how it goes.
From what I've read, I may also need the brake pedal from a turbo Buick...something about the booster rod pin being in a different position than the vacuum booster rod. It probably can be re-drilled. I was thinking when I get to the junkyard, I'll remove all the hoses connected to it as well.

no, no one is installing it. I am having my Jeep worked on. I was thinking of manual brakes for my GP and have the master sitting here but since I was told about the hydro boost I may be changing my mind.

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
what is different about the hydro boost pedal? I bought a remaned unit for my car I havent installed it yet but I dident know I needed a different pedal

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The difference in the pedals is the distance from the pedal pivot to the location where the rod attaches to the pedal.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
If you have the dimension you should be able to modify your pedal. I've seen the thread with the dimensions out there somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor