I might go look at this 84' T-type

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
As I understand it, all 84+ GNs are Regal T-types first, then GN is above that.

BUT, I'm not a Buick guy

I figure if a googie-eyed seller says it needs a lot of bodywork, it must be really bad

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
As I understand it, all 84+ GNs are Regal T-types first, then GN is above that.
BUT, I'm not a Buick guy
I figure if a googie-eyed seller says it needs a lot of bodywork, it must be really bad
I don't know either and I am also not a Buick guy, I figure since it is close I'll check it out and see how the frame and underneath look and go from there.
It was his dad's car so I don't know how much he actually knows about it.

NCTyphoonKid

G-Body Guru
Mar 17, 2019
There all listed as a T Type the Grand National was a option on the T Type. On the spid label on the trunk look for code WE2 that is the grand national option. After looking at your pics it appears to be a 84 GN it has the WE2 code on the spid label with the correct 84 interior even has the GN dash plaque along with the correct wheels. Even my 86 GN was listed as a T Type with the Grand National option.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
There all listed as a T Type the Grand National was a option on the T Type. On the spid label on the trunk look for code WE2 that is the grand national option. After looking at your pics it appears to be a 84 GN it has the WE2 code on the spid label with the correct 84 interior even has the GN dash plaque along with the correct wheels. Even my 86 GN was listed as a T Type with the Grand National option.
Good to know but I still question painted chrome trim or did they do that in 84'?

NCTyphoonKid

G-Body Guru
Mar 17, 2019
Good to know but I still question painted chrome trim or did they do that in 84'?
It’s hard to tell in the pictures it could’ve been replaced I’ve seen some chrome pieces just resprayed black. I can’t tell if it’s primer showing through or not. The front bumper looks like primer showing through. The pictures aren’t the best quality but I don’t have any doubts about it not being a GN after seeing the spid label. If it was just a T Type someone really went to a lot and I mean a lot of trouble to make a 84 GN those interior pieces while not impossible to find are a lot more difficult to find than a 85-87 GN interior.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
It’s hard to tell in the pictures it could’ve been replaced I’ve seen some chrome pieces just resprayed black.
Yeah the pictures are not that good which is why I want to at least check it out in person and being it is so close I would kick myself for not checking it out.

NCTyphoonKid

G-Body Guru
Mar 17, 2019
Yeah the pictures are not that good which is why I want to at least check it out in person and being it is so close I would kick myself for not checking it out.

Hope it checks out ok I’d hate to see another parted out. I’ve been looking at getting another one just need some more cash even looking at projects just to save one from getting parted out.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
The WE2 was just the blackout package for a t type, and some other bits that varied year to year.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I like to try and verify cars using the SPID when available. So looking at this car's SPID:

The WE2 for 1984 signified the GN option. The L/S seats were also available only on GN cars IIRC, and that is listed on the SPID as AQ9 (articulating L/S seats). It should also be on the cowl tag as well as along with W11 (Turbo). For fun, match the VIN and the SPID. Swapping trunklids wasn't out of the question, but unlikely. I mean, if you swapped everything over from a wrecked 84...doubt it's the case, but still...as a potential buyer- check everything.

Check this out- that car has J42 too. Aluminum rear drums. Not a big deal, but kinda cool. It doesn't have G80 (limited slip). From what I understand, G80 and J42 won't be on the SPID at the same time. J41 (steel drums) were with G80 cars. J42 aluminum only came with N89 wheels as well. So J42 and N89 must both be there on an 84 SPID. It also has VD6/VD7 RPO codes, which I think all T Types had anyway- Aluminum front/rear bumper reinforcements.

Check the grille for 2 mounting hole tabs where a TType badge would mount. GN's didn't have the hole tabs.

Based on what I see in the pictures, the car checks out as a GN. But with cloning, ANYTHING is possible.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor