I need an electric cooling fan? Help me

Status
Not open for further replies.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
79 elk 454ss said:
Thanks for the pics. I probably will go with an aftermarket fan(s) just for the ease of install and cleaner looks. Which leads me back to my original question. How do you know how much fan to buy?
I don't know, but gm fan motors are rated in watts not cfm. I would guess that any good twin fan set up would be enough to handle most V8,s Have you tried looking at Summit's web sight they always list compatibility with any of their parts.
Summit part # SUM-G4850 It is 15" tall and 26" wide dual fans with shroud.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
tc1959 said:
My set up is from a 93 Camaro the shroud and dual fans work very well .I run two fan relays triggered by a 160 deg temp switch. I also have a 14 in pusher in ft of the ac condenser that runs on a separate rely so you can run the ac before the engine temp switch kicks in the main fans . Its kinda hard to see them because i have an auxiliary trans cooler sitting on top of them rt now. :popcorn:

hey man,
I was just drifting by this thread, and noticed you and I have the exact same fan setup... Except, my fans came from a 91 Regal, which had dual fans, but wired so that only one would be in use all the time...

... so you think they used that same fan in the 93 Camaro?

neat...

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
khan0165 said:
tc1959 said:
My set up is from a 93 Camaro the shroud and dual fans work very well .I run two fan relays triggered by a 160 deg temp switch. I also have a 14 in pusher in ft of the ac condenser that runs on a separate rely so you can run the ac before the engine temp switch kicks in the main fans . Its kinda hard to see them because i have an auxiliary trans cooler sitting on top of them rt now. :popcorn:

hey man,
I was just drifting by this thread, and noticed you and I have the exact same fan setup... Except, my fans came from a 91 Regal, which had dual fans, but wired so that only one would be in use all the time...

... so you think they used that same fan in the 93 Camaro?

neat...
A lot of GM cars with dual fans used similar set ups with multiple relays depending weather the ac is on or when the temp is high ect.....

trog

Greasemonkey
Jun 16, 2009
tampa, florida
veltboy314 said:
trog said:
wow............and the ultra clean wiring.................. :puke:

I coulda sworn I said this is a temporary until my other cutlass is ready... I'll love to see what the wiring look like under the hood of that 78 Elco....

popcorn.gif
sorry--didnt see it was temporary---as for my wiring--its all hidden--im an automotive computer and electrical tech--so im kinda ocd--ill put up some pics when the new engine is in, its all torn apart right now

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
veltboy314 said:
:rofl: It works perfect for me! The belt is nice & tight & the alternator doesn't move at all! :D

It may not look proper, but I like the concept. how do you keep it from turning and coming loose?

kingcolbert83

G-Body Guru
Mar 26, 2008
79elky454ss said:
I am shopping for a fan,and am becoming more confused by the minute. How many C.F.M. ? What diameter? Single or dual? Push or pull? Curved or Strait blades? It appears that I can spend $50-$300, But I don't want to spend more than necessary. What factors determine?

Get a mark vii fan, relay and call it a day. I guarantee you wont be disappointed. When you test this fan out you might drop it because when it kicks it kicks.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
The general rule of thumb on aftermarket fans is that for every 1000cfm of stated airflow they should be pulling 10A.

One thing you'll notice real quick about the majority of the cheap aftermarket fans is that they "claim" big cfm but their amp draw just doesn't stack up. So be careful there.

An exception to this would be the Derale HP dual fan setup that is rated 4000+cfm. Each fan draws 25A so they're stated cfm may be a bit on the low side for these.

Beyond that, the best bet is to get a factory fan setup as mention above. I don't have experience with any of the one's listed but have heard they work well. I did use a set of dual electric fans out of a '93-'97 LT1 F-body and they work really well. Only needs slight modification to the house to mount them and to clear the steering gear box.

The other key is to make sure they are mounted to a shroud that covers the entire radiator as much as possible. I had a Black-magic fan that claimed to pull 2800cfm and had it's own shroud. However it didn't cover nearly enough of the radiator and would never keep the engine from running at 210*F. I reinstalled a factory HD clutch fan and shroud and that brought the temps back to 180-190*F but on a 5500rpm upshift the bolts/studs decided to shear off and the fan came off. That was the last time I ever used a factory clutch fan.
When I switched to the F-body setup the temps stayed the same if not a bit cooler than with the factory clutch fan. However make sure you have a BIG alternator. My stock 75-78A alternator couldn't keep up with the fans in traffic very well. Battery voltage would drop from 14.5v or so to 11.5v if I was in traffic for very long.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
I'm running the intrepid fans on thermostats automatic on and off. 2 speeds.

101_0348.jpg

101_0347.jpg

bracket holds the fans up into the top plate.

jerry455

Apprentice
Jul 9, 2006
sterling hts mi
I had twin cooling fans from a 1997 corvette.They are staggered and have some flaps on them that open when you drive so that air can move through. It looks similiar to the f body fans from the mid to late 1990's. I bought a fan controller from jegs that turns on both fans at 60% and if the temp keeps rising then they go to the full 100%. It also turned on with the a/c. You could also add a switch to turn it on manually when racing. I made a top bracket that replaced my original shroud and bolt the fans to the bottom of the radiator support. I don't know the cfm rating but it was plenty for my ZZ3 Grand Prix.

layedoutregal

Greasemonkey
Jul 3, 2009
Waukegan IL
i got mine from a 2000 buick regal rs/gs? the supercharged one, duel and all i had to do was trim the plastic shroud to fit, wired them to the ign and never had a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor