I need cam and torque converter advice for 5.3/4l60E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
26-2800 Circle D, BTE or would all work well for a n/a setup. The 4l60 will work, and as mentioned, lighter and physically smaller than the 4l80, but I don’t know anyone who wants to stay at the same power level for long. It’s usually better to overbuild the drivetrain is the budget allows.

At the bottom is a clip below of the old 5.3 setup I had in my 88 Turbo car. It’s a Cam Motion Titan Cam. I used pac 1218 springs, stock retainers, comp pushrods, Comp trunions. Works great as a N/A cam. Not a very wild cam drove as if the cam was stock. Valvetrain was really quiet because how the cam lobes are ground.

Titan 3 LS1/LS2 Camshaft, 5150, Hyd Roller, 3 bolt, 224/228 duration @.050", .603"/.595" lift, 113 degree LSA

Another cam I use to run in the 5.3 was the LS3 cam. Yes, the single bolt, 4x cam. I disabled the cam sensor ( Holley Dominator EFI) and just had it read from the crank only. Not sure if this can be done with the stock ECU but might be worth looking into.

The LS3 Cam is a hybrid of the two LS6 Cams with 1 degree more LSA than the LS2. This cam acted as any stock cam would but made great power N/A. Turned out to be a really good inexpensive turbo cam too. I used the factory yellow springs, factory rocker arms, pushrods etc... with this cam.

.551in/.525ex
201/211
117LSA
Decent, the Titan is almost identical spec wise to the Tick stage 1 boost cam in my 5.3 which was ground by Cam Motion. Hopefully my Cutlass sounds that good.

Reactions: 1 user

Kemper1976

Greasemonkey
Jul 25, 2017
Topeka, KS
Decent, the Titan is almost identical spec wise to the Tick stage 1 boost cam in my 5.3 which was ground by Cam Motion. Hopefully my Cutlass sounds that good.
Oh I’m sure the Tick will sound amazing. Almost every Tick idle clip I’ve herd sounds good.

The reason I say the Titan wasn’t a good turbo cam was due to a couple of the valve timing events. 40.4 degrees @ abdc and 52 @ bbdc. Definitely a n/a cam.

Do you think you’ll race your Cutlass much or mainly street driven?

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Oh I’m sure the Tick will sound amazing. Almost every Tick idle clip I’ve herd sounds good.

The reason I say the Titan wasn’t a good turbo cam was due to a couple of the valve timing events. 40.4 degrees @ abdc and 52 @ bbdc. Definitely a n/a cam.

Do you think you’ll race your Cutlass much or mainly street driven?
Likely won't race mine much anymore other than the occasional light to light *ss whoopin! My cam is a little wild powerband wise for street cruising, but compared to the 355 cam I had it should tune out nicely on the street! Fingers crossed I have it running this year as I keep hitting walls and need my rich uncle to show up lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor