I saw a rare one this weekend, but how rare is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ss4ever

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Shelbina, Missouri
I was at a swap meet and saw a 78(I think) Grand Am, red two door with snowflake wheels power windows, power bucket seats and floor shift with console.

I saw the guy unloading some stuff to sell and I made the comment that it is a shame that he is driving such a rare car in the weather we were having(snow). He looked at me with a surprised look and told me I am probably the only one who recognised the car at all. We talked for a few minutes, pretty nice guy, I asked him if he is a member here but he said he isn't, I told him he should come check the site out.

Just how many Grand Ams were built in that body style(like a Malibu)? How about the power seat and floor shift, is that rare also or did all those cars come equiped like that?

Randy

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Just like most cars like that, the floor shifter was an option. I actually have a 78 Pontiac brochure that I saved onto my computer. lol. I can post a pic if you'd like. Not so sure that it's like a one of a kind car, but I've surely never seen more than a handfull of them before...

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
They were popular around here (ontario). The grand ams any ways. My neighbors across the street had 1 that I was going to buy when I turned 16 but they traded it in when I was 15 :( . It was black with black int. buckets and floor shift. nothing special but was ok shape. I also looked at a simular one when I was 18. Black tan int bucket but colomn shift. tThe guy wanted too much for it though.

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Two other neighbors had nice Gbodies too Behind me had a Cutlass that was light silver/grey int. light silver tint windows with mathing headlight covers. It sat tall but level with Outlaw rims and RWL tires. My friend across the street had a 85 GP. It was white with blue vinyl top/int. He painted it dark grey and left the Blue vinyl. It looked really sharp with cragars. His aunt also had a mint low milage monte ss aerocoupe. Now that I think about it another neighbor had a 442. He now drives a 81 elky that was saved from a wreckers in tenn. Water had accumulated in the doors and destroyed them. So the owner sold it to the scrap yard. By luck on a business trip he saw it out front on the tow truck and asked how much they wanted for it. He paid $1500 us for it. 55000 miles and you can still read the stickers under the car. ie. axle tags etc... It was spotless other then the doors. But its his winter beater now. But he keeps it clean/oiled. His summer car is a '61 bubble top Impala SS that we rebuilt from the door handles down. Not much left ot the body on the lower half but you would never know that now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor