Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

Gozer442

Master Mechanic
Aug 9, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Ha! I just saw a set of chrome bumper balls for sale on that site! My eyes are bleeding!

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
This is how I would do it.;)

144716_400x400.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Gozer442

Master Mechanic
Aug 9, 2016
Ontario, Canada
don't know how need some help

All jokes aside... make sure you buy quality parts, and if you're not sure about doing the work yourself, please leave it to the professionals. Don't do anything half-*ss! Changing the geometry of a stock suspension and braking system to that degree can endanger you and anyone around you if it's not done right, and safe! I'm sure there's a lot of members here that will chime in with words of wisdom.

Do your research, Google some videos, make some contacts with people that have done this type of project before.

Post some pics of your El Camino, and your work!

Good luck!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
There are a few knowledgeable members on hete who are into the big wheel look and know what they are talking about in reference to it. Hopefully they will chime im. I'm not a fan of that look so I'm no expert on the subject. I just found that website with a google search.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
You can do it with oversize springs. Just be aware that the suspension has only so much travel and you will be close to the limit of that. Also the front end steering geometry will need serious attention. A really good shop can make it go straight and not wear out the tires. For example, I used 1977 Trans Am Firebird 400 front springs and WOW did it raise the front up. The wheels canted inwards like you see on ricers. I then had to cut the coils to get it down to something sane. I then used 1979 Buick LeSabre rear coils and that hoisted the rear way up there too. But the tires were almost hitting the rear quarters because the control arms pivoted the axle in too far. This is a lot of work and not for the squeamish or non-mechanically inclined. I wonder if you could raise the car at all the body bushing points? That would probably expose the frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor