I'd like your opinions on this, please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

87Cutlass442

Apprentice
Oct 22, 2008
Indianapolis
Hey everyone,

I recently acquired a '87 Cutlass 442, and it needs it little bit of work, but otherwise, it's in good condition. The car came with a 350 Rocket from a '76 Supreme installed...

My question is this:

My normal background/people I run with, are cars that are on big rims...24's-30's, with extensive paint and bodywork, which appears to be the exact opposite from what I've seen on here so far!

I want my car to be a reflection of me and my style, BUT...I also want it to be tasteful, and attempt to retain the "resale" value as well. I don't want people to look at the car and say "damn...he completely screwed up a 442". If it were a Supreme or Salon, I'd just do whatever I wanted to do, but I'm trying to capture both aspects: I want it to look good in the streets, as well as appeal to be at Hot Rod Nationals, World of Wheels, etc...

Does having the engine in it now deter collectors from purchasing the car? Does it mess up the resale value? Also, it needs to be repainted. Originally, when I just wanted a regular Cutlass, I was going to go with House of Kolor Kandy Magenta (I love bright colors)...IYO, should I still run with that, OR have the original scheme (Grey/Gold) resprayed? If I did the 2nd option, I'd use more of a charcoal-base to match the rims.

What do you think? I hope I'm making sense! :lol:

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
I like big rims and candy paint. That's me. I like lowriders and switches. That's me too. I'd say for collector's resale do it origanal, but you are already gonna take a hit on resale for non original drivetrain. But it's more fun right? I've also noticed though, if you do a car right you'll always make your money off it. Plenty of lowriders and big wheels, sell for more then what you'd get for an original 442. I guess it's all a matter of personal taste. Do what you wanna do man, I know I would. Oh yeah, keep us pic'd up. Good luck.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
i dunno i think i would keep original colors but i would not be afraid of putting some 20's on it as long as you don't do major suspension changes, that way you can still be respected by the people you are used to but also people who like original things

87Cutlass442

Apprentice
Oct 22, 2008
Indianapolis
78mali350 said:
i dunno i think i would keep original colors but i would not be afraid of putting some 20's on it as long as you don't do major suspension changes, that way you can still be respected by the people you are used to but also people who like original things

I think a lot of people are scared by numbers...

They hear 22's, 24's, etc. and automatically think the car looks like sh*t because of the size...either that, or they've seen too many people do it wrong and it's embedded in their mind that it can't look right.

On mine, I'd do 22's, which, in my crowd, aren't considered "big" at all...not even eye-catching. That size is now considered standard, esp.since cars now come equipped from the factory with that size.

Here's a few:

24" Asanti's....431 under the hood
Picture001-4.jpg

24" GFG's....396 under the hood
IMG_7725.jpg

Kandy Teal '87 on 22" DUB Trumps...383 Stroker under the hood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqfhdqffRUw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWTGmYUIzTM

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
Hey I just started a custom pic's gallery. There's a 442 on there. By the way that blue Regal, NICE!!!

v8power

G-Body Guru
Aug 24, 2007
green bay WI
o ya donk is way cool. im thinking of doing this to my regal, and when i am done i will shoot myself in the head.
11583608005251.jpg

v8power

G-Body Guru
Aug 24, 2007
green bay WI
by the way, that is clean regal you have there nevertheless. and i like the color.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Since my 442 is the same Medium Gray over Silver Metallic as yours, I'll say with minimal bias that I really like the factory color scheme. :D

Cars with big rims look good if done tastefully. But it seems that 9 times out of 10, they don't do it right and it looks ridiculous. I wouldn't change the wheels myself because I like the stock wheels. They're 442 specific and are kind of a novelty.

But at the end of the day, it's your car and you get to do what ever you want to it, that's the beauty of the hobby. :D

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
v8power said:
o ya donk is way cool. im thinking of doing this to my regal, and when i am done i will shoot myself in the head.
11583608005251.jpg

funny how the guy with no wheels on any of his G's in his pic's has something bad to say about everyone else's. Yeah I admit you managed to find the dumbest looking pic you could. Maybe it say's something about the one who posted it. But as many people here know the tru definition of a 'DONK' is an early to mid 70's full size Chevy, on huge wheels. Here let me show you...

atldonkdavins.jpg

donk1.jpg

donk2.jpg

donk3.jpg

donk4.jpg

donk5.jpg

Next time you try constructive criticism, at least be constructive about it or know WTF your talking about. Bashing other people's stuff usually goes to show jealousy. Sorry for ya dude. And to everyone else sorry, didn't mean to pirate this thread.

v8power

G-Body Guru
Aug 24, 2007
green bay WI
my definition of donk: bunch of faggots putting huge *ss wheels on cars and having them sit 3 feet off the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor