Idle Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
You are in Iowa? I assume it is cold and rainy/snowy there? Put the heat tube on from the snorkel to the exhaust manifold. The vacuum door in the snorkel gets a hose to the heat sensor in the air cleaner. It is a disc about the size of a quarter with two nipples sticking down. The snorkel hose goes to that. The other nipple gets a hose going to full manifold vacuum. Then when the engine is running the snorkel gets 100° heat at all times. After that you adjust your idle screw and mixture screws for a nice smooth idle that will not change with the weather. Once you eliminate atmospheric influences then if you still have idle problems something else is at play like a vacuum leak or internal carb issues. Do the easy stuff first. Leaving parts off just complicates things.
0900c152800b1447.jpg

I have found a near NOS vacuum motor for the air cleaner, as mine appears to not work... do you or anyone perhaps have a part number for the temp sensor? It's over 40 years old, might as well replace it.

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
Did you figure it out? Didn't see it mentioned, but have you checked your alternator? I know you said voltage doesn't drop but your rpms do with electrical draw. Your alt might be on its way out and creating excesdive drag or resistance on your belt drive and influencing your idle.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Did you figure it out? Didn't see it mentioned, but have you checked your alternator? I know you said voltage doesn't drop but your rpms do with electrical draw. Your alt might be on its way out and creating excesdive drag or resistance on your belt drive and influencing your idle.
New alt. New cables.
It was weak springs and lack of lube causing the advance weights to not return at idle after extended rpm after a drive. Its fine now.

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor