In the Name of All Things sacred and Holy...WTF???!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmaxstyle

Greasemonkey
Jul 21, 2009
Alberta
IMHO having big rims look similar to, if I wore shoes that were size 16 when really my feet are size 9's . Looks like bozo the clown walking around. Anything over 16's should be for mounting a tractor tire IMO

87Cutlass442

Apprentice
Oct 22, 2008
Indianapolis
madmaxstyle said:
IMHO having big rims look similar to, if I wore shoes that were size 16 when really my feet are size 9's . Looks like bozo the clown walking around. Anything over 16's should be for mounting a tractor tire IMO

16's?! Jesus Christ...my factory rims on my Impala aren't even that small.

Exactly what is it that most of you have against "big rims?" (Spare me the whole "center of gravity" speech and anything closely related). It's funny, cause in the "big wheel" circuit, anything 22" and under isn't considered "big"...it's standard.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Hey I wear a size 14 and I'm very sensitive about my feet lol :oops: :lol:

hotrod87

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2010
Plainfield, IN
ok now i dont feel so bad about puttin a sbc in my cutlass :rofl:

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
87Cutlass442 said:
patmckinneyracing said:
Excuse me for stereotyping, but the g bodies are very popular among hispanics and african americans. Hence the donk rims. Never see a white guy doing that cause we'd look stupid as hell. And those rims just don't look good on our cars but it's a matter of opinion.

No, you wouldn't...what you like is what you like.

Stereotypically, all the Black guys would be driving cars on big *ss rims, White guys would either have tuners or street rods/hot rods, and hispanics would all be hittin switches in their '64 with Kandy Paint...

BUT, it's not that way...and that's what makes it great. I'm Black, and I'm an avid Import tuner as well...given, I stand out in a crowd, but it's what I like to do.

This car belongs to the guy you see in the background...he's white, and THAT is a Donk...it's a '75 Caprice on 26" DUB Esinem SL's. He's also owned a '77 Impala on 28" DUB Bellagio's with Air-Ride. He's VERY respected in our city...everybody knows him on all sides of town

Picture151.jpg

Picture159.jpg

Thank you for knowing what a Donk actually is, as most of these old farts don't have a clue. That Donk and Box look good too. There's no such thing as donking, donk rims, donk'd, or any of those corny a** names that most of them come try to attach to our car culture. And it's true that most cars on big rims (26"+) are owned by white guys or are custom shop's cars(like the one pictured). Most black people can't afford those sizes unless they're used or hot.

And that Cutlass in the first post doesn't fit in anywhere. We don't like the big lifts anymore either, that's just a waste of a good car. And they had to cut the car up to get those ugly wheels on, that's not the style anymore. That's why the tire companies came up with skinny tires, so we wouldn't have to lift and be sky high.

cdg1984

G-Body Guru
Oct 18, 2009
Evansville IN
Personally i think 20s and 22s can look good if the wheel wells get altered and the car can sit at a normal or even lowered stance. I think putting big rims on a car and not doing anything to lower the car to counter act the look, is ugly and tacky as hell, espically when a lift kit is added. IMO the whole big rim craze is todays equivelent to fuzzy felt all over and stuff like that of the 1970's ( picture a 1970's pimp's car ) And by the way, im no old fart...im 25. A lot of people i know are into that stuff but its just not my taste. Even when i was into rap and had subs and stuff in my car, i still didnt really like that.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
cdg1984 said:
Personally i think 20s and 22s can look good if the wheel wells get altered and the car can sit at a normal or even lowered stance. I think putting big rims on a car and not doing anything to lower the car to counter act the look, is ugly and tacky as hell, espically when a lift kit is added. IMO the whole big rim craze is todays equivelent to fuzzy felt all over and stuff like that of the 1970's ( picture a 1970's pimp's car ) And by the way, im no old fart...im 25. A lot of people i know are into that stuff but its just not my taste. Even when i was into rap and had subs and stuff in my car, i still didnt really like that.

You can fit up to 24" wheels and sit low on them in G-Body. You'll just need some extended/adjustable rear trailing arms, skinny tires, the correct offset wheels, and fresh new springs and shocks all around. It's not hard, a lot of people are just lazy and/or cheap.

87Cutlass442

Apprentice
Oct 22, 2008
Indianapolis
Qdub24 said:
87Cutlass442 said:
patmckinneyracing said:
Excuse me for stereotyping, but the g bodies are very popular among hispanics and african americans. Hence the donk rims. Never see a white guy doing that cause we'd look stupid as hell. And those rims just don't look good on our cars but it's a matter of opinion.

No, you wouldn't...what you like is what you like.

Stereotypically, all the Black guys would be driving cars on big *ss rims, White guys would either have tuners or street rods/hot rods, and hispanics would all be hittin switches in their '64 with Kandy Paint...

BUT, it's not that way...and that's what makes it great. I'm Black, and I'm an avid Import tuner as well...given, I stand out in a crowd, but it's what I like to do.

This car belongs to the guy you see in the background...he's white, and THAT is a Donk...it's a '75 Caprice on 26" DUB Esinem SL's. He's also owned a '77 Impala on 28" DUB Bellagio's with Air-Ride. He's VERY respected in our city...everybody knows him on all sides of town

Picture151.jpg

Picture159.jpg

Thank you for knowing what a Donk actually is, as most of these old farts don't have a clue. That Donk and Box look good too. There's no such thing as donking, donk rims, donk'd, or any of those corny a** names that most of them come try to attach to our car culture. And it's true that most cars on big rims (26"+) are owned by white guys or are custom shop's cars(like the one pictured). Most black people can't afford those sizes unless they're used or hot.

And that Cutlass in the first post doesn't fit in anywhere. We don't like the big lifts anymore either, that's just a waste of a good car. And they had to cut the car up to get those ugly wheels on, that's not the style anymore. That's why the tire companies came up with skinny tires, so we wouldn't have to lift and be sky high.

Ok, see...I was with you, until I saw that part that's bolded and enlarged...

Seriously, what the **** would make you say that?! Maybe where YOU live it's like that, but come here...the city is FULL of Black people on 26's or bigger. Where on earth did you get the idea that "we can't afford them"?! That's just insane!

As far as "buying used rims", you're right...they're one of the biggest depreciating assets, so buying them used is a smart move. My 22" Asanti AF132's go for $5400 brand new, BUT...I bought them used for $2000. You'd be crazy to pay full price cause even if you only ride them a good summer, street value AUTOMATICALLY takes 1/2 off....add curb rash and other things, and it knocks the price down even further. A guy I know JUST sold a set of 24" DUB Trumps for $2200 w/out tires....normally, they're $5500 w/out tires. You'd be crazy to pay full price!

MrHernandez

G-Body Guru
May 25, 2009
Jackson,TN
cdg1984 said:
patmckinneyracing said:

Hahaha...they're are tons of white dudes who think that stuff is cool.
and at least one hispanic dude that thinks that sh*t is rediculous :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor