Installing a Starter on '84 Regal 305

Status
Not open for further replies.

blizack

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2009
Toronto, On, Canada
I've been reading through 56 pages of search results and it seems this hasn't been discussed.

I have an 84 Regal 305 that needs a starter replacement. I Jacked up the car, removed the bolts on the starter but it's too big to fall through. Does anyone know how to or where to maneuver the starter to get it out? Thanks.

pokertramp

G-Body Guru
Aug 10, 2008
blizack said:
I've been reading through 56 pages of search results and it seems this hasn't been discussed.

I have an 84 Regal 305 that needs a starter replacement. I Jacked up the car, removed the bolts on the starter but it's too big to fall through. Does anyone know how to or where to maneuver the starter to get it out? Thanks.

I wonder if you remove the solenoid from the starter if that will help. I am not sure what it looks like but have you tried going through the top or front of the engine?

Just trying to help, throwing some ideas to you.

blizack

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2009
Toronto, On, Canada
No, I haven't tried removing the solenoid. The motor itself is too big to fall through any openings. As for moving it through the top, I've tried that as well but no luck.

From the way that it's looking, something will need to be removed but i don't want to have to take off the whole exhaust pipe if there's a better way.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Is your car stock, or do you have long tube headers? If stock, there is usually a way to do it. If not, you will need to drop the head pipes on both sides to gain the clearance. This will require you to replace the fiber doughnut in the joint between the pipes (If so equipped) when you put it all back together. It may also lead to stripped manifold studs which will have to be replaced when you put it back together.

blizack

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2009
Toronto, On, Canada
Its all stock. The starter would slide out easily if I just had half of an inch more clearance. I guess taking off the headers will be the next thing that I try. I'll have to wait for this Canadian weather to pass before I try anything though.

If anyone has more suggestions then please share them. I don't think there is another thread on this topic. Thanks pokertramp, 85 Cutlass Brougham.

maliburacinfreak

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2005
Evansville, IN
if its all stock, it shouldnt have headers. try removing the inspection cover from the transmission. that should give you plenty of room.

pokertramp

G-Body Guru
Aug 10, 2008
maliburacinfreak said:
if its all stock, it shouldnt have headers. try removing the inspection cover from the transmission. that should give you plenty of room.

forgot about that one,,,that might work.

blizack

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2009
Toronto, On, Canada
Hey guys

I was working on it today.

The starter is located just above and between the lower control arm on the pass. side and the exhaust pipe before the cat.

The Inspection panel is a foot away from the starter so removing that wouldn't help.

The oil pan is right beside the starter as well. I was in the process of taking that off when my neighbor with who owns a 69 Riviera told me that it was a bad idea.

The space between the control arm and the exhaust is only about a half inch too tight for the starter to fall through.

maliburacinfreak

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2005
Evansville, IN
blizack said:
The Inspection panel is a foot away from the starter so removing that wouldn't help.
it covers the nose of the starter, how is it a foot away? dont try to remove the oil pan. if its within a half inch, try jacking up the motor. the motor mounts may give that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor