Installing a Starter on '84 Regal 305

Status
Not open for further replies.

maliburacinfreak

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2005
Evansville, IN
front of the transmission, covering the flexplate and converter. held on by 4 small bolts.

crappycutlass

Master Mechanic
May 28, 2007
get some pics... a stock car with stock Y pipe WILL clear the starter...

i don't really understand why your having an issue..

pokertramp

G-Body Guru
Aug 10, 2008
if the exhaust is in the way a BFH will fix that.

(BFH) BIG FUC**NG HAMMER :D get a good sized hammer and bang the exhaust pipe in a little but not too much. if you have to use a 1 inch ratchet extension (craftsman) if you can't get at it or whatever else you can use.

blizack

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2009
Toronto, On, Canada
you know i just might. This car has an unbelievable amount of rust on the underside. I have to wear a skimask with safety goggles and a mask when going under.

I think i will just put a hammer to the exhaust pipe though. In my city I wouldn't need to take an emissions test and I plan on running duals eventually anyways.

I'll make sure to take of picture of the problem before taking out the starter.

blizack

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2009
Toronto, On, Canada
Ok everyone I've solved this problem. You can see what the problem was in the pictures below.

Problem: The starter does not have enough clearance between the exhaust pipe and the passenger side lower control arm.

My Solution:
1) Jack up the front of the car so that the two front wheels are off of the ground
2) To slightly increase the clearance between the exhaust pipe, place a jack underneath the lower control arm on the passenger side and jack it up (compress the suspension on that wheel)
3) Remove both sets of bolts holding up the exhaust pipe by the dougnut connectors on each side of the engine. (I'm not sure if thats the proper name. They're between the engine and the cat., but closer to the engine.)
4) Move the exhaust pipe to the side and slide out the starter. (Watch out on this one - I had the damaged starter held up by the exhaust pipe and as soon as I freed the exhaust, the starter fell right onto my chest from about 1.5 feet.)

These are the pictures of the starter stuck between the exhaust pipe and the lower control arm.

PIC_0002.jpg

PIC_0003.jpg

PIC_0004.jpg

PIC_0005.jpg

PIC_0006.jpg
[/img]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor