Installing alt on passenger side

Status
Not open for further replies.

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
i had that alternator bracket setup, its made for non a/c short water pumps. i used that kit with long water pump and after market billet pulleys. still had to shim the alt pulley and a very thin spacer on the water pump but it works great once all aligned

Reactions: 2 users

Bri guy

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2018
Do you have the part numbers of the pulleys you used? It does look like the alt bracket needs the wp pulley to come in about a half inch to line up. Spacer on the wp....use a spacer behind the pulley right? Does it matter at all that the belt system is from a a/c 307? Can i rule that out?

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
Do you have the part numbers of the pulleys you used? It does look like the alt bracket needs the wp pulley to come in about a half inch to line up. Spacer on the wp....use a spacer behind the pulley right? Does it matter at all that the belt system is from a a/c 307? Can i rule that out?

I dont have part numbers, they were the cheap billet pulleys for oldsmobile engines listed on ebay. i used the 307 power steering pump, pulley and brackets on the driver side and then did a powermaster 1 wire alternator with the alternator relocation brackets on the passenger side. and yes the shims go on the inside of the water pump pulley

Bri guy

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2018
That is probably hard to find, the same since the 60's and those use the 5.6" water pump, the key is the matching pulleys. I threw belts like crazy on my 403 until I got everything lined up straight, using mid 70's triple pulleys. My 70S had the factory non A/C passenger side alternator brackets but 260 A/C pulleys, same as your 307 pulleys with a nice closed impeller 6" cast iron water pump. It worked like *ss and threw belts until I spaced everything out. I stole these billet pulleys off my 88 and everything lined up, I got lucky for once. I will take a couple of pics of my setup. The power steering is in a different position, otherwise the same. Contact them, personally I would get the triple groove bottom pulley, larger diameter, better cooling and charging and try their 6" water pump pulley, if the pic is right it sits back quite a bit further on the water pump, which should help more than one belt line up.
I can barely squeeze a belt between the wp and crank pulley as it is..but i would appreciate a pic to compare

Bri guy

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2018
You don't need "an Olds guy". It's simple pulley alignment. You could have the exact same situation on any make engine accessory drive. It's brackets and spacers to make the pulleys line up= very simple. Get the mental block of "It's an Oldmobile" out of your head. That only comes into play when you're trying to squeeze every last drop of power out.
I jist meant i need a guy here whos done this before and knows what i need. This car makes everything so challenging. This takes the cake. Tgey said they will refund the pulleys. But they want pictures to see whats going on to see if they notice anything unusual

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I would: mount the water pump pulley, then make the other accessory brackets line up with that. You could be missing a spacer or two that makes it look like they line up, but are in the wrong spot.

Bri guy

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2018
I would: mount the water pump pulley, then make the other accessory brackets line up with that. You could be missing a spacer or two that makes it look like they line up, but are in the wrong spot.
Ok. I will do that and send a pic.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I don't need pics. You need to pick a start point to run with. If the crank and water pump line up, you need everything else to line up to them because they have no adjustment. Although, I think I had to put a washer behind my pump pulley..... don't remember.

Bri guy

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2018
The waterpump doesnt line up with the crank. Only thing that lines up was the crank and power steering.... The alt sits back and is closer to the same groove that the power steering lines up on.

Bri guy

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2018
Once i get the wp and crank pulleys that line up, then finish the setup? The wp pulley needs to be closer to the motor to line up with the crank. Its a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor