Installing Interior Window Sweep

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
What do you guys use to install them? I have seen a video where the guy uses a flat taper head metal screw and cuts off the thread of the screw flush to the metal so the screw won't interfere with the installation. I was wondering if a short rivet can be used..... :popcorn:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
You talking about the inside sweep or the outer sweep? If it's inner, some are held on with staples and a specialized dimpling arrangement. Hard to explain but I'm guessing that's not easily duplicated. I know Olds Cutlass are stapled/dimple-crimped. You may be able to get by with short rivets. I seem to recall that's how they did it on my 84 H/O when I had the inner door panels redone. But not sure.

How's your clearances behind the strip? Once installed, the inner seal lip should cover up any rivet heads anyway. Check to see contact areas where the door panel actually touches the door on the top metal strip. That will tell you where NOT to put the rivets.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
It's the inside sweep. The originals are installed with staples and the new ones have holes in them. On the sweeps for the Monte/GP are different than the Olds. They are flat with the staples or fastener not covered by a lip. I don't think they would be visible but I could always mark the faster black.

20200626_075825.jpg

ostrich

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Just did a set in my SS. They came with a bunch of staples like OEM. Basically drilled 2 small holes (1/8") for the staples put them in and bent them over with pliers. In the instructions they had a note to use the staples and not rivets for interference reason. Not sure if your's came with the staples or if you can buy them separately?

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Just did a set in my SS. They came with a bunch of staples like OEM. Basically drilled 2 small holes (1/8") for the staples put them in and bent them over with pliers. In the instructions they had a note to use the staples and not rivets for interference reason. Not sure if your's came with the staples or if you can buy them separately?

That's an idea, I have heavy staples in my office .....

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor